small portable recording setup

Gunther

Portable recording…

I’m looking for a portable recorder setup to record voice with somewhat high fidelity. It will mostly be used to record my voice lessons and practices, so something portable and something I can stop and replay what I just recorded quickly if I want to.

Originally I was hoping to use one of those MP3 recorders, but it seems that there is none out there with a mic input… so now I am thinking I might be stuck with mini disk (not that it’s such a bad thing)

I have no idea about what mic to use though… other than it probably should be an omni.

Any suggestions?

I have a Fostex MR-8 that I use for that and other things when I'm away from my shack.
It's easy to use, and is fairly versatile. Comes with a burner tool.

Or a cassette recorder.

Wish I could be of more help.

If you accept the limitation of a kludgey computer interface, a minidisk might be just the thing. You might have to get used to having a separate mic though, since MDs don't come with mics. Beware of cheap analog recorders. If the transport isn't good enough, your recordings might not play back in key. (I don't sing, but I make practice tracks for guitar playing, and some low-end analog recorders have made unuseable tracks. I use a Walkman D-6, no longer sold. It has a solid playback, plus pitch control.)

I got a MD to make practice tracks. A contributor to this board recommended a mic that plugged directly into the MD. But the mic picked up the disk whine of the MD, so I now attach the mic through a 1' extension I got from Radio Shack. The only reason I haven't switched to MD permanently is that I have a pretty big archive of analog practice tapes.

In my book, MD has it over a Digital Recorder like the Fostex in size and compactness and $, when used for simple applications like practice tracks. However, the platform is stunted by defensive software that keeps you from moving your tracks to your computer as files. Instead, you have to play them into your computer. So if a computer is part of what you want to do, you might be better off with a format that is more computer-friendly.

Korg PXR4 Pandora- $300 at Guitar Center. Add a 128mb smart media card, about $36. Frankly, the built in mic in the thing is rather good, so it should do everything you need in one battery powered pocketsized package. If you want to use an external mic, you can jack any dynamic you want into it. If you add a phantom power supply, such as Rolls PB23 (about $50), you can jack any condenser you like into it. I'm not kidding, though, the built in back electret condenser is impressive.-Richie

Back