small mic pre/soundcard

willovercome

i've got a small laptop, and i'm looking for a small soundcard/mic pre to go with it. it's a mac, and i run logic, which probably doesn't make much of a difference nowdays. i don't need a lot of inputs 2 would be enough. i just want something relativly cheap, small, and decent sound quality. i have some good stuff on my desktop, this would just be for quick recordings, or to preserve song ideas. i have firewire and usb capabilities.

you've never steered me wrong before . . . so what are your recommendations?

This is what I would recommend. It's cheap and don't let the "recording into Garageband" stuff throw you if you've got more pro-level software --- this is a solid USB interface which will do just what you asked for.

If you want to spend a little more, I have one of the smaller m-audio interfaces and they work great. I think I paid about $350 for my firewire 410. I bought it for that same purpose.

Either the Edirol or M-Audio solutions in your price range should be fine. USB 2.0 isn't that bad, especially for only four i/os at a time, but if you're concerned then firewire is a safer bet.

The Edirol stuff gets the job done. Actually there are tons of options out there for 2 channel USB devices.

Stay away from Aardvark as apparently they are out of business and you'll receive no support etc.

War

Back