Small, cheap but decent mixer?

kgsmart

Hi folks, I'm a newbie here so please forgive me if this topic's been covered before, but...

After a few years of casual home recording, I've progressed to the point where I've realized the inferiority of sound produced by simply plugging the microphone directly into 4-track. Thus, I'm looking for a mixer. But because money is tight - we just bought an old house, and it's swallowing my paychecks whole - and it's just me doing the one-man band thing, I don't need and don't want anything with hundreds of bells and whistles. I'm looking for something small and inexpensive, but that will help me improve the quality of my sound.

Any suggestions?

You should look into the FostexVMO4 digital mixer...It also works analog .It costs about $200...Has 4 ch. Eff already in it..reverbs delays chourus and so on.. so you can save money there also .And if you get a DAT or Minidisk someday you can record through the optical lines for cool remote live stuff of your band or jam sessions

I don't know HOW good they are, but Behringer makes 2 cheap mixers...

4 channel, 2 mic inputs, 2 stereo line inputs. $110 from Musicians Friend.

6 channel, 4 mic inputs, 2 stereo line inputs. $210 fro MF.

(I'm not positive on the 6 channel specs I gave. Price and inpust especially. Check their site...)

Gidge:
I'm using a Shure SM-58 for everything at this point, which I'm fairly satisfied with for vocals. I have considered picking up an SM-57 ($79.95 from Musician's Friend last time I checked) but don't know if it will make that much of a difference in terms of miking my amplifier.

Given my budget constraints, would I be better off just getting a decent mic pre-amp?

Back