SM86, Anyone use them?

still4given

Got my ticket!
Hey folks,

I just bought an SM86 at the GC Labor Day sale. Not sure what it's strengths are but got a good price and am always trying to add to my mic locker. Have any of you used one, and for what? Love to get some ideas.

Thanks, Terry

Hmmm, not a single bite. Maybe that's why GC was selling their only two units. I guess maybe this mic never caught on. I tried it out when I got home. Nice sounding mic. Doesn't seem to be as sensitive as most condensers I've used. I guess I just keep trying it on different things until I find it's strengths.

Thanks, terry

Hey, thanks guys.

I put it through my PA last night and had my daughter sing through it. Very nice! It has a little more "air" than my SM58s. Sounded really good on her voice. If I don't use them for anything else but PA work, they were worth the money. I'm still going to try using them for some recording, just to see how they sound for that. Might be that they will prove to good mics for "live" recordings.

Blessings, Terry

The SM86 is a mid level hand held vocal condenser mic. The next step up in the Shure line would be Beta 87a. Although I have not used this mic, my sometime partner, Maureen Fleming, has used it extensively. According to her. it's a very good vocal mic for small clubs, but tends to be feedback prone, especially if you don't have someone good on the board. It's not really a bad recording mic, either, where the feedback issues are irrelevent. She uses it instead of KSM44 or NTK when she wants a little more "live" feel in the studio. It should be a useful tool, especially if you have a female singer in the family.-Richie

Back