sm81 pair, or KSM 109 pair + Peluso MXL 960 mod?

pylet2000

Hello all, looking to get some opinions about what to do with my upcoming mic purchase. I've got about $500 to spend, and minimally need a pair of SDC's.

I've also got an MXL 960 LDC, unmodded, that sounds so-so. It's intended to be used for vocals on my latest project over the next few months, so upgrading it's capsule would likely help it's slightly 'thin' and mildly harsh tone.

I kinda like the idea of getting a used SM81 pair, but wonder if I would be better served by going with a KSM 109 (or AT3031, or AKG 170, or any other ~$175 SDC) pair, and getting a CEK-89 capsule/mount from Peluso for the 960.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I'd definately recommend putting a NOS Mullard 4024 (or some such) in that MXL 960. It realy helps the sound. If it still seems "thin" then a new capsule would be an easy mod.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I've already swapped the tube. I had a Telefunken 12AT7 in there, and ended up swapping in a GE 12AY7 to tame down the output (very hot mic). Both tubes work nicely, and are way better than the 12AX7 that comes stock...

I'll throw some other details out that will help too, sorry for being vague.

Vocal style is Queen type, very dynamic from subtle melodic to full tilt tenor. The SDC will be used for micing stings, acoustic guitar, and maybe some hand drums. They'll need to be versatile.

Would the Pelsuo CEK-89 capsule even make THAT big of a difference in the 960? I recall Phil doing some mods to MXL mics, can't remember (or find) the verdict on the 960.

The only mics that you mentioned that I can comment on are the 109's. I have a pair and have been using them as OH's and as a stereo pair on acoustic guitar. They've worked out great on both.

I've read alot of good comments on the 81's too though. Any way you could try them out and see what you like first?

I'm a big fan of the SM81s. Also check out Oktava MC-012 or MK-012 SDCs.

You might follow the modding adventures of those here who bought the ACM-1200 in the recent group buy (sure to be lots of discussion soon), since they're likely to have similar issues/opportunities (except that the 960 is cardioid? and the 1200 is multi-pattern).

I have a pair of SM81s and a pair of Peluso CEMC6s. For acoustic guitar, I use both, depending on what I am playing. I prefer the SM81s for flat-picking (good punch, in-your-face sound, accurate flat response over full frequency range, where the CEMC6s were a little shrill on the high strings when picked hard). I prefer the CEMC6s for fingerpicking and strumming chords (very detailed, pretty sounding, musical, nice punch to the bass, where the SM81s were not as detailed on the chords - fingerpicking sounds good and powerful with the SM81s but not as clear as the CEMC6) . I have found the SM81 to be a good vocal mic for my voice, so it may find broader application than just acoustic guitar. Recording an orchestra or choir? Use the CEMC6s. Recording a flatpicker? Use the SM81.

Ended up going for a pair of AT4041's, and modded the MXL960 to boot. Found a silly deal on a pair of AT's, so the budget was able to cover both the mod and the pair of SDC's.

The AT4041's sound great by the way. Very realistic and smooth in the lows and mids, with a nice sparkly presence in the upper end. Great for acoustics. New microphones are tons of fun!

Back