SM7b - Problemsa with gain and level. Heeeeelp!!

hugocat

Hey there -

I recently bought an SM7b for use as a VO mic. I was warned that the mic had low output, so did my research and chose a pre that offered 65db of gain: an ART Pro Channel.

I've just set the system up, and to my horror I'm having significant problems getting sufficient level from the mic.

If I turn up the mic gain too high I'm getting a top end 'fizz' sound: if I dial in too much output from the pre, I'm getting a lot of hiss. If I balance it up, I have to be RIGHT on the mic to get any usable level at all: I mean, 4" away.

Can anyone suggest anything that would help? I'm recording into Cubase LE via a Lexicon interface.....if I can't work this out then I guess I'm gonna have to sell this **** thing and get a LDC like I'd originally intended: Ive recorded with these before and never had these problems.

I feel like a dumbass asking this, but I've only used LDC mics before and they've been fine.

Thanks!!
J

The SM7b wants a ton of gain. The mic was designed for your mouth to be right up on the windscreen, so 4" is the maximum I would go. I typically use it at 1-3" into a Sytek MPX-4Aii, and I have to turn the pre up to 8 or 9 out of 10 (about 60 db gain). This pre is very quiet even when maxed out (no hiss) so it works fine.

I have heard that ART MP Gold pre is noisy, but don't know about your pre - I heard it was pretty good, but never having used it I cannot advise. Make sure you are using good cables (mic to pre, pre to interface - bad cables can cause problems too).

Never tried and SM7b myself but every time Ive seen somebody use it, they seem to kiss the mic while singing, I dont think youll have a problem going closer than 4" inches or even putting your lips against the windscreen. That might get you usable levels.

Thanks for the replies so far....

Just an update: I got rid of the 'fizzing' noise by changing cables, but I'm still faced with two choices: either no level or level accompanied by a huge amount of hiss......

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!:confused::confused:
J

I would change out the tubes. They send those units with pretty bad tubes and they tend to make a lot of noise. If you havn't checked it with another mic that might be something to try as well. The sm7 is not just another mic. It does take a fair amount of gain but its widely used in a lot of pro studios with good reason.

All good advise all around.
The SM7b is an excellent mic and don't be afraid of kissing it.So be right on it.
The Art stock tubes are really bad, look up proaudiotubes@aol.com to get a good tube or a sense of what is needed. But maybe your choice in a pre was a little off, maybe a RNP would have been wiser / cleaner mic pre choice.

:cool:

Back