SM7, SM7b, SM7a??

PREVAILED

So i narrowed my search down to the SM7.
Now my question is which would be best for vocal styles like: Hatebreed, Throwdown? and also I hear these mics need high gain pre amp? any suggestions?

thanks

Go for the SM7b....a preamp is a preamp it all depends on what your looking to do.
I would go for the chameleon labs 7602 mk11. A great neve 1073 clone with a selectable 3 band EQ.

:cool:

...the GAP PRE-73 is a great match for the SM7...I've heard many excellent tracks recorded with that combo...can't beat for the price... ;)

All three versions of the mic essentially sound the same. A bit better shielding and a better mount on the current model. Yeah, it's a hog. I'd suggest something that will give you at least 55db of clean gain (meaning that you need more than that if you only get 55 db cranked and it's noisy). More is better. I use mine with a variety of pres, usually my APIs and A-Designs P-1s.

I've got a SM7b....It's always setup ready to go in my booth. It's my main go to microphone for all male vocals. It has a GREAT cutting midrange to it but I always have to boost highs for a bit more presence (even with the boost on the mic).

Good mic

Back