SM7 Presence Boost - use it?

PhiloBeddoe

A friend of mine picked up an SM7 to record his rock vocals. I dunno, maybe he could be described as Scott Weiland-ish in his range and timbre.

He really doesn't have much audio production experience, and may want me to mix some of his music.

I don't own an SM7 so I can't really offer him too much advice on its use. Do other people use the Presence Boost on the SM7 for vocals? Normally I'm leery of such features and I don't want to get overly harsh vocal tracks to mix. However, it seems to be a pretty flat microphone so maybe people use it all the time.

Thanks!

OK I'll admit it, I didn't know there was a switch under the back plate. I was never really happy with the sound of the mic on vocals. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong with the mic. Everybody loves the sound on vocals. Well, who ever owned the mic before me had the bass roll off on and the mid boost up. Now lets see what this bad boy sounds like. In the words of Homer.......DOH

zbert said:
OK I'll admit it, I didn't know there was a switch under the back plate. I was never really happy with the sound of the mic on vocals. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong with the mic. Everybody loves the sound on vocals. Well, who ever owned the mic before me had the bass roll off on and the mid boost up. Now lets see what this bad boy sounds like. In the words of Homer.......DOH
Haha! You should notice a big difference.

Interesting. I always use the SM7 flat in the studio, but I use the presence boost when I use it as a live mic, which is pretty much all the time. I think you'll find the midrange boost is really useful when running the SM7 through a PA. I never had any concept of using it as a live mic, but I put it up one day just for the hell of it, and it's been my main live vocal mic ever since. As a byproduct, I think I figured out what the midrange boost switch is good for.-Richie

Back