SM7 or EV RE20

capnreverb

So many folks on this board rave about these two mics for voice/vocals. I have used the re20 at the radio station I work at and think it sounds great. These seem to be similer mics in terms of size and application. Is there a major differance between the two, and if you were to get one, which one, and why? Is one more versitle? Also, whats the huge differance between the re20 and re27? What other large diaphram dynamic mics are there?

I'm thinking one of these might be my next mic purchase when i get some $ together.

Thanks!
-wietlispach

capnreverb said:
So many folks on this board rave about these two mics for voice/vocals. I have used the re20 at the radio station I work at and think it sounds great. These seem to be similer mics in terms of size and application. Is there a major differance between the two, and if you were to get one, which one, and why? Is one more versitle? Also, whats the huge differance between the re20 and re27? What other large diaphram dynamic mics are there?

I'm thinking one of these might be my next mic purchase when i get some $ together.

Thanks!
-wietlispach

I have the SM7 and love it, but I have to say the RE20 looks cooler.

The MD421 is nice too, but I don't like it for vocals and certainly not voiceover. Although if you ever listened to the Greaseman, he used to refer to "speckling the Sennheiser", so he must have been using that or the 441.
But when you speak into the SM7, suddenly you're James Earl Jones, and if you sing, you're Barry White.

capnreverb said:
mostly voice/singing. of course, other applications when they suggest themselves.
I haven't compared RE20 and SM-7 side-by-side but both are pretty versitle mics... I tend to lean more towards the RE20 for voiceovers and the SM-7 for singing.

One difference is the RE-20 has no proximity effect and may be a tad flatter in general. But it's not one you can 'work for a tone effect on vocals as much as others; get closer, gets louder but not bigger, compressor turns it back down...
(I have not tried the sm7)
Wayne

Re20

cap'n,

I had a (classical) radio programme for over 6 years and used for broadcast: Audio Technica 4050, AKG 3000, EV RE20, and Neumann U89. There was a variation in choices among the announcers, but I very quickly gravitated to the RE20. I could see what the Neumann was trying to do, but the RE20 just suited my voice very well- it was balanced- without any particular range emphasis- and seemed smoother. It was also far less sensitive to my moving about than the U89 which was terrible in that respect. If I moved my head 3" the U89 sound changed- and putting in CD's or DATS requires a lot of movement while hopefully the listener doesn't know about!

The 4050 was suprisingly good too- a bit more sensitive to popping. The 3000s have gone on my list of microphones I never want to see again! For me they were veiled, harsh, and dry. I tried my Oktavas MC012 -once-and I think I would need a pop screen made from thick carpet to use that one, though the overall sound is not bad.

But, the RE20 was an instant recognition- the right thing. Later, I learned that Bonny Raitt used/uses the RE20 for her vocals- and I assume she could use anything ever made should she want it..

Cheers,

Bambi B

I worked in radio for quite a few years and have worked with the RE20, SM5, SM7, and MD421 (and the reporters friend, the RE635). For dynamic mikes, my preference is (in order):

MD421
SM5
SM7

The MD421 run through a Urei LA-4 compressor was my favorite setup. I never cared for the RE20. But, I have friends (voice over people) who swear by the thing and sound good on it.

What's the difference between the re20 and re27?

The RE27 uses neodymium magnets to produce 6db higher output (according to EV) and it has a nicer physical appearance. The RE20 is matte grey, while the RE27 has a semi-polished champagne finish. The RE27 street price is about $50 more than the RE20.

A year or two ago, I surveyed several midwest radio stations in a medium-sized market, asking what on-air microphones they used. Most used the RE20. The second most common was the Shure SM7.

Mark H.

im looking at these more for recording singing and possibly other instruments if they apply themselves. the radio station i occasionaly dj at all ready has enough mics. guess i was trying to get some first hand experience of the sonic differances of the two.

also, for the 27, besides the 6db is there really any sonic differance?

thanks for the info so far!

Don't forget the Sennheiser 441 .... ABBA used to use these live on stage.
441 is more hyper-cardioid than most dynamics and is about as close to a condenser as you can get in a dynamic mic. Nice on smaller toms too, where as I use 421s on floor tom etc.

mixsit said:
One difference is the RE-20 has no proximity effect and may be a tad flatter in general. But it's not one you can 'work for a tone effect on vocals as much as others; get closer, gets louder but not bigger, compressor turns it back down...
(I have not tried the sm7)
Wayne

That's a very good summary of the RE-20. The SM-7 also has considerable more bite in the midrange, while at the same time posessing an overall silky texture -- which sounds like kind of a contradiction, but you just have to hear it.

It's basically a much more professional and smoother/polished-sounding SM-57. Although perhaps a tad less attractive. :D

Back