SM7...more uses than just vocals?

Carny1122

Plugin Whore
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying an SM7 (I record pretty much only screamy metal and heavy rock stuff, so it'd be my go-to vocal mic, so I've been told), but has anyone ever used one on a guitar cab? I'm kinda curious what it might sound like paired up with a 609 on an amp. I'm a broke college kid that needs a mic that can do at least those two things decently well for some project stuff....vocals and guitar cabinets. Is this the mic that I should really be looking at?

And please don't respond telling me that my best bet would be a U87 or a TLM-103 or anything. I know that, trust me. I'm basically broke, so I'm trying to keep a budget of under $350 here. Please try to keep that in mind! :cool:

It's wonderful on cabs, 6 inches out, off center, mmmmmmmmm. And it is much more versatile than those other mics you named. It does need a lot of gain though, what's your pre look like?

Or an even better choice for the same money if you go used (which is usually the smartest route)... an MD441. 10 times the rejection and way smoother than an SM-57. Then you can sell the 609 and buy something useful... like a better preamp, because the 441 needs even more gain than the SM7 does. Its a very low output mic. I've had luck with it on guitar cabs, vocals, bass amps, snare (beware, not a great mic at taking a hit)

I do own 3 of the 4 mics listed in this post, and have owned the other as well. The 441 is the better mic, followed closely by the sm7. The sm57 and 3609 can both take a hike though. Nasty awful mics they are. I used to LIKE the 609 for some reason, but then I didnt know better at the time I guess.

I was going to get a SM57 for my guitar amp...then I looked at the SM7 and thought "why?"

Well, it's one of those YMMV things. I have a couple sm7s, sm-57s and MD541s (stage version of the MD441). For screamo vocals and cabs, I think I'd go with the SM7. The MD541 (441) is a really good mic, no doubt about it, but it wouldn't be my first choice for screamo vocals. The SM7 will also be cheaper than a 541 or 441 if the OP is on a budget.

Two common uses where the SM7 excels that might be of interest to you are micing bass cabinets and kick drum. A lot of people like them on horns - though I've never heard of a screamo metal band with a brass section... :D

+1...

Two common uses where the SM7 excels that might be of interest to you are micing bass cabinets and kick drum. A lot of people like them on horns - though I've never heard of a screamo metal band with a brass section... :D

For bass cabinets...The SM-7 does that chore very nicely.

Jay

If i could only have one mic......... SM7. Sold my 441, though I wish I had it back just for coolness factor and it's abilities on snare.

if it helps, here's a post with links to a bunch of wav files from a reamped guitar riff using a small EL-84 based tube amp (the amp is a little harsh sounding, from the early 1960's), recorded through a bunch of mics, including the SM57 and SM7b, under fairly controlled conditions. I think the SM7b sounds better than the SM57:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=257706

Needless to say, YMMV, I've certainly made and heard guitar recordings with the SM57 that I was happy with.

Holllllllly geez, thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't expecting all of that! haha.

I'll probably end up getting the SM7 (well, basically undoubtedly now). I wish I had the money for an MD 441, but $700 isn't going to see the inside of my wallet for some time now.

And as far as screaming mixed with horns....you'd be surprised! Ska has found its way to hardcore, unbelievably...ahhh kids these days :cool:

But again, thanks for the help. I just need something that will make my vocals sound better and my guitar cabs not sound like just one 609 was on there, you know? I appreciate the input!

To anyone who's used the SM7 on kick: where/how did you place it? I just tried my SM7 on kick in a session and ended up bailing right back to the D112.

I know they won't sound the same, but the SM7 was awful by comparison. Considering how much I love it on so many other things--I'm sure it was my fault. So maybe I'll try again and be more patient while experimenting with placement...

--I'm sure it was my fault. So maybe I'll try again and be more patient while experimenting with placement...

Don't think it was your fault. Kick just isn't one of the things where it shines. Most of the time. Your d112 has more of tailored sound that, in more situations, will tend to lend itself for that task.

Don't think it was your fault. Kick just isn't one of the things where it shines. Most of the time. Your d112 has more of tailored sound that, in more situations, will tend to lend itself for that task.

No doubt there--the D112 was 80% there just dropping it in. Took very little tweaking. After adding the 57 on the beater side, I got what I was hoping to.

So I think you're right, maybe it wasn't my fault. (Never is, right? :D) Now I should probably move on to making more music rather than trying to get a kick sound of an SM7 when the D112 does quite well.

FYI-James Hetfield uses an SM-57 and it sounds great:D
Most of the Studio footage I've seen of Metallica... He's using a SM7. I might be wrong...

On the MD-441...
I picked up a used one in very good shape for $281 w/ S&H (265+16). it took a while to get one under $300 but it happened. I use it for snare all the time and sometimes for vox and acoustic guitar... so far.
I like it.

B.

I think I'm just gonna stick with the SM7. Found an SM7b on Craig's list for $275, so I'm gonna pick that up.

well a word of warning before you buy it. Since it hasnt been mentioned. An sm-7 needs AT LEAST 55 db of gain. If u gota preamp that does that thats good otherwise your going to be wasting your money.

Yeah, I was warned about that. I've got a firepod, which has a ton of gain, but I'm probably going to be borrowing a preamp off of my buddy for the time being to help push it some more.

Back