SM58 trouble

eyema_believer

Bondservant
Hey guys... I've got an SM58 I've had for about 10 years, and it's giving me a bit of trouble. When I touch it, I get a loud 60Hz hum. It seems like it would be the other way around. Any ideas?

I can solder, but troubleshooting is another matter. Do you guys think I could/should try and fix it myself? Where would I even start?

Peace!

~Shawn

Hey guys... I've got an SM58 I've had for about 10 years, and it's giving me a bit of trouble. When I touch it, I get a loud 60Hz hum. It seems like it would be the other way around. Any ideas?

I can solder, but troubleshooting is another matter. Do you guys think I could/should try and fix it myself? Where would I even start?

Peace!

~Shawn

Check if the case is still connected to pin 1.

Do you guys think I could/should try and fix it myself?

It's hard to say. Nobody's ever tried to fix one. They don't break. Yours might be the first.:D

I'm joking. Open it up and check for a bad connection. If you have had it for ten years it might be difficult to open.

It's hard to say. Nobody's ever tried to fix one. They don't break. Yours might be the first.:D

IIRC, the last time I disassembled one, they only had wires to the two signal pins and depended upon the screw on the connector to provide the ground. That means that if your cable doesn't have the lug grounded, your mic body isn't grounded, either. I could be wrong, though. There might have been some small jumper inside the mic right at the connector. I wasn't paying that much attention.

If you don't find anything connected to the ground pin inside the mic, try adding a jumper from the lug to the ground pin. When you're done, make sure you tighten the set screw on the connector.

Back