SM58 to Tascam US-100 to PC-- excessive static hiss noise etc

Faustainhead

Hi.
I'm very new to all this.
Bought an old Sure SM58 Mic and Tascam US-100(USB) to hook it up to my PC. How disappointed I was to find the noise coming through my headphones when the Mic was connected. And it increased much more when I touched the mic. All the cables I'm using are new. I don't have input or output values set very high, I've tried different settings but the electric hiss continues. Is it a bad Mic?Is it an earth problem? I notice there is a small "signal GND" knob on my Tascam. What do I do with it? And is that where the problem stems? Please help.

Well, the first thing you want to do is determine the cause of the hiss; because it doesn't sound like you're too sure (even when you touch the mic, which causes more hiss.)

Here are some things that I'd do to be sure that it is the microphone:

1) Unplug the mic. - Is there still hiss in your headphones? (Possibility, its your headphones or Tascam itself.)

2a) Plug the mic in, turn the gain knob for the mic all the way down... is there hiss? (If yes, you can lean more towards headphones or Tascam.)
2b) Turn the knob up until you hear the hiss. (Note the dial location.)

3a) Record some sample words into your DAW, replay thru the TASCAM... Is there any hiss in the recorded audio? (Yes? Mic/Tascam!)
3b) Play the same sample thru your computer speakers. If there is no hiss then you can rule out the tascam and mic; as it's definitely the headphones.

The most likely suspect is a cheap cord. You need a high quality cord on your microphone and on any guitar you play on stage. A bad cord can make any mic sound bad. Also if you are recording the SM58 is probably not the best mic to record with depending on what you are trying to do with it.

I was just doing this on a UX2.
Unplug the mic and at 75% there was no hiss, at 100% volume/gain -55db hss. This seems to be normal for a lot of interface/ consumer gear, from what I read.

The gain staging is then best set at 75% mic gain, then add some more "digital gain" inside the DAW using a plug or slider etc..something.

The Shure mics are low output so this also adds the need for turning the gain up.

You can probably unplug your mic and get the same noise level. Turn the mic pre all the way up...if its what I think youre talking about.

Attachments

• Noise.png
    Noise.png
    299.9 KB · Views: 153
Yup, aside from the mic, a bad/cheap cable (xlr and usb) can definitely add to the hiss.

Make sure your cables are properly shielded, and are not rubbing against other electrical cables, which can definitely cause interference. Also check your USB cable, as a cheap unfiltered cable can also introduce a bit of hiss. You may want to wiggle that bad boy at both ends as well to make sure its not a connection problem at the Tascam or PC end.

Never found a cable, XLR, usb or anything else no matter how cheap that caused "hiss"?

But no matter. The Tascam 100 is a new one on me and I looked it up. No phantom power? I know it is at the bottom of the market pricewise but surely, to release an AI in this day and age without +48 volts is lunacy?
The RIAA input is nice touch but the lack of spook juice will hold back sales I betcha!

Dave.

I have, and its annoying as hell!

Annoying? Probably, but AFAICS it is electronically impossible for a passive piece of cable to produce any signal. But I am quite prepared to be told/shown how it might happen?

Dave.

Annoying? Probably, but AFAICS it is electronically impossible for a passive piece of cable to produce any signal. But I am quite prepared to be told/shown how it might happen?

Dave.

I had a problem with one of my older usb cables with my fast track pro. If I wiggled the cable I would get an increased hiss-type sound out of my headphones and speakers. After changing the cable the problem went away. Perhaps you wouldn't label this sound a hiss, but it did cause some unwanted interference when recording.

Oh and that bad cable did cause BSODs too, I would wiggle and the interface would sometimes disconnect, and blow up the DAW.

I had a problem with one of my older usb cables with my fast track pro. If I wiggled the cable I would get an increased hiss-type sound out of my headphones and speakers. After changing the cable the problem went away. Perhaps you wouldn't label this sound a hiss, but it did cause some unwanted interference when recording.

Which end did you wiggle? I would bet money you had problem in one of the usb ports that "went away" when disturbed. Did you try to prove the cable out on another device?

I have spent much of my 68 years diagnosing faults on various pieces of equipment, you have to have a systematic approach if you want consistent answers....But then sometimes you NEVER find the answer, the thing just fixes itself!

Dave.

(Sorry to hijack the thread, but this actually may help our non-responsive author!)

Which end did you wiggle? I would bet money you had problem in one of the usb ports that "went away" when disturbed. Did you try to prove the cable out on another device?

I have spent much of my 68 years diagnosing faults on various pieces of equipment, you have to have a systematic approach if you want consistent answers....But then sometimes you NEVER find the answer, the thing just fixes itself!

Dave.

Dave,

My apologies for the late reply!

Yeah, the end connected into the Fast Track was the problematic end so it seems. I did actually troubleshoot the cable further before throwing it out too. It had trouble with a printer, which would inconsistently disconnect itself (a short of sorts?)

Swapping out the cable fixed the issue! :)

Sorry I've taken so long to get back. Emergency with sick son in Chile.
Thanks for your help. Here' what I discovered. from SyDiko's Q's:

1. No
2a. No
2b. hiss starts pretty much as soon as I turn it up.
3a. Yes
3b. Still has hiss.

I think it's a bad Mic I have. As I say, I'm totally new to this. It's mostly spoken word stuff I am doing, I had previously just plugged a very cheap mic straight into the computer. I fancied upgrading but it seems to have been a mistake. When I can get a hold of another mic I will try again. I'm fairly sure that's what the problem is from the procedure you advised. Thanks again.

I have 3 58s, 2 wired, one wireless and they are dead quiet w max gain (80db). Thats thru an ISA Two and an M-Audio 2626.

Noisy when I process on the way in, but its not the mics

Keep looking!

:-).

Sorry I've taken so long to get back. Emergency with sick son in Chile.
Thanks for your help. Here' what I discovered. from SyDiko's Q's:

1. No
2a. No
2b. hiss starts pretty much as soon as I turn it up.
3a. Yes
3b. Still has hiss.

I think it's a bad Mic I have. As I say, I'm totally new to this. It's mostly spoken word stuff I am doing, I had previously just plugged a very cheap mic straight into the computer. I fancied upgrading but it seems to have been a mistake. When I can get a hold of another mic I will try again. I'm fairly sure that's what the problem is from the procedure you advised. Thanks again.

Glad we could help you figure it out! :D

Back