SM58-lighter than PG?

rankmanugly

i bought a SM58 off ebay brand new in the box. It all appears fine and seems like the real deal. i have a PG48 also and the deal is, the PG seems like it has a stronger casing all over. it is much heavier and feels much sturdier.
Is this how it should be? And the SM58's mic cable where it enters the 3 pin on the mic is only plastic.
is this a real one?
thanks

Hi

Shure mics don't come boxed with Shure brand mic leads. If your mic came with a cable, it'll just be something the seller threw in as an added bonus or incentive. I wouldn't take it as an indication that your product is a knock-off just because the lead is poor quality. Does your microphone look like this?

no its not the lead that made me wary.
the on off switch seems tinnier than the PG also. i just assumed it would be stronger and sturdier. buti'm pretty sure its fine
cheers

yeh, you can get them with an on/off switch. this one is raised above the casing while the switch on the PG58 is below the casing

rankmanugly said:
yep. a quick check of both the shure website and my actual mic how it does.
model SM58S comes with on off switch for $8 more.
see http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/sm58.asp

my shure box actually says SM58SK and came with a shure mic cable in the box.
i can post a pic if the recording buffs are curious

Yep, I've used the switched SM58S, no issue there. It's a solid switch, I don't think it will give you problems. And yes, there are Shure mics supplied with cables, most people buy the SM58LC version where "LC" stands for "less cable" :)

Back