sm57s temporary overheads?

jdalziel

hi there,
im just starting to build up my mic collection for micing drums. santas going to get me a D-6 for x-mas and some other mics except the overheads, cymbals are also on my list. i would like to get some nice condensers, but good ones are out of my budget just right now. and i dont have any room for mics needing phantom power on this small mixer of mine. can anybody suggest an overhead option that is dynamic mics. im thinking, can i get away with two sm57s as overheads for a bit? cause it would be better to invest in some good mics that ill keep then shitty mics i will soon be replacing with some real condensors(like some oktavas) anyways. i would really like to have some 57s. i really just need 2 mics for 2 cymbals. i would just buy without asking, but i just want to be sure. thanks in advance

jd

dalz. demo a cad gxl sometime. 50 bucks. i doubt youll be disappointed.
but you need a mixer with 48v phantom power.
if you want some cheap diy mics using panasonic capsules google
and search for tape op diy mic. cost about 20 bucks.
just an idea.

Yes get atleast one 57. Try one above the snare about 21/2 sticks and a kick mic. And have a good time recording you might be suprised at what you come up with. You dont have to have two mics above the kit to get a descent drum sound and you dont have to have condensors.
Start with one 57 and have a good time! ;)

Only until something better comes along.

I put on my headphones and held an SM57 up to various cymbals and the hat while the drummer was playing.

Sounded like ass.

I swapped the SM57 for a SDC and the difference was night and day. The SM57 sounded just awful... cymbals are the wrong use for it.

Sm57

I've done it, but with a lot of - E.Q.
Also I got away with it because I was using a Zildjian 16" Thin crash.The heavier 18" Rock crash had an overtone that was rancid.
Get some Oktavas when you get the Cash!

pick up two SP B1s if you're on a budget, they work very well as overheads. Dynamics sound like ass above a kit.

You could probably pick up 2 B1s and a DMP3 (if you need the phantom power) for not much more than the price of two 57s and they'll work on lots more sources like vocals, acoustic guitars, bongos, tamberine, dogs barking......you get the idea

Personally, I often like the sound of SM57's on overheads. It's an unusual choice, but it can work. Listen to the first track on Emmylou Harris' "Wrecking Ball" album if you want to hear Daniel Lanois using SM57's as overheads.

nkjanssen said:
Personally, I often like the sound of SM57's on overheads. It's an unusual choice, but it can work. Listen to the first track on Emmylou Harris' "Wrecking Ball" album if you want to hear Daniel Lanois using SM57's as overheads.

Yeah, the Daniel Lanois stuff comes to mind as a good example of 57's on overheads. I've got an old vintage set of high hats that do well with a 57 on them. It's worth a try.

While not my first choice, I don’t hear a horrible loss of detail or high end with my 57's. It’s just more “boxy” and less “silky” as compared the usual condenser. I usually have some dynamic, either a 57 or a 421, set up as a room mic to capture impromptu scratch tracks and song ideas. These 3 clips got recorded last night (7 - off the floor):

http://www.nowhereradio.com/teainthesahara/singles

The first clip is of an acoustic being close miked by a 57. The second clip has the 57 close miking an acoustic, as well as vocals. The last clip has a 421 used as a room mic for drums, acoustic and vocals and everything else. Oh yeah – the weird guitar tone – It aint the mic; my acoustic guitar sports some nice, uhh, modifications…a piece of wire coat-hanger for the bridge :eek: Man, I need some new instruments…

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back