SM57 XLR Pulled out...

gorbyrun

Mad Scientist
Hey guys, in the last few weeks I have run into 3 SM57s with their XLR connectors pulled out. After close examination I am at a loss as to how they are held in there in the first place. There is a screw in the connector that might be backed out into the housing to hold it in place... but I don't think that's it. Help.

Thanks,
Chaz

The thing is, in all three cases... the screw is TIGHT in the plastic of the connector, to the point of being very hard to remove. Yet to work as a "stop", it would have to be loose... (which doesn't seem to make sense). When I tried to remove the screw, the screw tip became mangled, rather than budge. How could the screw work it's way "loose" so tightly. I can see no evidence of glue residue. Strangely, on some of my older 57s there is a threaded hole in the case... below an unthreaded hole above the above mentioned screw.
Behind the connector there is a ridge in the metal case which keeps the connector from being pushed back into the microphone. But, if the connector is pushed to this point, the screw is past the (unthreaded) hole.
I don't get it. Are these things held in by magic? The karma of the engineer?
Shure wants a flat $50 fee to fix a 57... which seems a bit much considering the mics work and appear undamaged... untill you unplug em.
If nobody minds, I'd like to keep this thread alive for a few more days just to be "shure" no one knows the answer to this problem.

Thanks everyone,
Chaz

Just screw the little bolt out into the mic housing, that's what holds the XLR connector in place on the mic. Period. No super glue. End of thread.

I have the same problem on one of my 57's. The problem is that I didn't realize it until I pulled out the cable, which in turn broke the wires for the mic. It'll probably cost me as much to fix the damn thing as it would to replace it!:(
RF

solder?, i had to when some butt hole was stisting thw grill and it oped off and he ripped the mic element (diaphram and magnet..etc.) out and with wire, firly easy to fix

Well, I found my answer...

"Just screw the little bolt out into the mic housing, that's what holds the XLR connector in place on the mic. Period. No super glue. End of thread."

... restart thread... the screw does hold the XLR connector in place, but it is threaded backwards. You turn it clockwise to back the screw into the housing.

gorbyrun said:
Well, I found my answer...

"Just screw the little bolt out into the mic housing, that's what holds the XLR connector in place on the mic. Period. No super glue. End of thread."

... restart thread... the screw does hold the XLR connector in place, but it is threaded backwards. You turn it clockwise to back the screw into the housing.

That's correct, turn the little bolt clockwise to screw it into the housing. XLR line connectors work the same way.

Last edited:
Back