SM57 With Lexicon Omega - Test

jimmy2sticks

Since there was a thread about the SM57 not being sensitive enough with the Lexicon Lambda, RAK and I decided to take the 57 for a spin with the Lexicon Omega. Essentially, the Omega is same as the Lambda except the Lambda provides +44 dB gain while the Omega provides +50 dB of gain. With a standard SM57, we were able to get more than enough gain with the Mic 1 volume knob up 3/4 of the way. In fact, we even clipped the A/D converter. We only spoke/yelled into the mic.

Set-up:
Apple iBook
Lexicon Omega
Shure SM57
Shure Headquaters Recording Studio

After this test, it is apparent that there is some other issue with MyHatbroke's set-up.

Myhatbroke - Is there a pad on the Lambda?

I, for one, will definetly be interested in your diagnosis. Keep us posted when he stops by. Enjoy Summer NAMM.

hmmm interesting....well can 6 dbs really make a difference? And no the lambda has no mic pad switch...w/e that is. Harvey! dude your studio is beautiful! How much did it cost to build? I might stop by if the preamp doesnt help me. It should get here by tomorrow. Ill also take pics on my set up. I need to borrow my friends camera first though

a 3 dB increase doubles the power. For example, a 63 dBm signal has twice the power (watts) that 60 dBm signal has. If you combine two 60 dBm signals, the resulting output is not 120 dBm, but rather 63 dBm.
(at least I think I got all that correct)

This is not the same as volume, however. Doubling the volume is around a 10 dB increase.

Many channel strips and microphones themselves have Pads (ever see a switch on a microphone that says something like -10dB?). Basically, it just reduces (pads) the input signal so you don't overload the mic (or channel strip), if the signal coming in is way hot.

If you did have a Pad on your box, and the Pad was enabled, that could account for why the signal was so low, but since you don't, it's not the issue.

Back