sm57 / sp b1

cat-eggs

this is kind of a crappy way to ask a question but i'm very crappy guy

i use a sm57 for everything and i might get an sp b1 based on reviews. can somebody maybe describe what the b1 sounds like in comparison to the sm57? is there a big difference? i don't know jack so just tell me in regular people language if you want huh?

thanks,
zal yanovsky

The B1 will sound brighter, more open and detailed compared to the 57.

The 57 is good for snare and amps, and occasionally vocals - if you're using a really good preamp.

The B1 is much more versatile, especially on acoustic gtr, drums, drum OH's, vocals. Also great on amps. A 57 and a B1 together on an amp will give you a lot of sonic options.

I recommended the B1 on this article over a year ago as a great first mic. I still recommend it. As you build your mic cabinet over time, you'll still find the B1 useful.

Dan Richards
The Listening Sessions
The Project Studio Handbook

Last edited:
this is the best way i can explain....record an acoustic guitar with the sm57.....play it back......scratch your head and wonder why it sounds ok, but not quite right......the b1 will sound quite right......

I am not great at describing sounds of mics, but I will tell you that with the SM57 and B1 combo, you will have a very nice variety of sounds available. Think the SM57 sounds more sterile and the B1 sounds a bit more round, or warm.

Those are probably not the best words to describe.

Jim

cat-eggs said:
this is kind of a crappy way to ask a question but i'm very crappy guy

i use a sm57 for everything and i might get an sp b1 based on reviews. can somebody maybe describe what the b1 sounds like in comparison to the sm57? is there a big difference? i don't know jack so just tell me in regular people language if you want huh?

thanks,
zal yanovsky
Yes, there is a big difference... after all, one is a dynamic mic and the other is condenser mic... which also means (in these case anyway) the condenser mic has a hotter output signal and the dynamic mic can handle a higher SPL, like a snare and etc better.

Back