SM57 or Sm58?

Masters Of War

Hi, I currently own a Studio Projects B1 mic and a Behringer MIC100 pre. In a few days I'm picking up a VTB1 and either an SM58 or an SM57. Which mic would record better in areas where the b1 may be lacking (if any). Looking to mic vocals, harmonica, guitar amp, and a snare-hi hat combo. Also which mic would go best with which pre, I know the MIC100 is kind of a piece of crap, I was thinking B1/VTB1 and SM5?/MIC100.

SM57 is better/more versatile in the studio, IMO. The SM58 is a very good vocal mic for live use, though.

Many people contend that if you take the ball off of an SM58 it is essentially an SM57 though. It may be worthwhile to get the SM58 and get both flavors (assuming that these people are right.)

cominginsecond said:
Do they use the same electronics?

Yep - same wires from the XLR to the capsule - no actual electronics in the 57/58.

Personally, I like the SM-57 better than the SM-58 because the "head" is smaller, and it's easier to position around drums. It's $20 less expensive too.

kid klash said:
Yep - same wires from the XLR to the capsule - no actual electronics in the 57/58.
I've heard there's a transformer in the 57. There might be in the 58 too, but I know it's more than just wires from the XLR to the capsule.

Oops - you're right!

cominginsecond said:
I've heard there's a transformer in the 57. There might be in the 58 too, but I know it's more than just wires from the XLR to the capsule.

You know, I think you're right, come to think of it. The old 545 and 565 have transformers so the user could wire them for hi or low impedance. I haven't used hi-Z mics for years, and forgot about the transformers. Anyway, they should be the same in both (57 and 58) mics.

I'll chime in and say I think the 57 is more versatile as well. You can stick a $3 windscreen from radio shack on it and it sounds every bit as good (maybe even better) on vocals than a 58 (which, admittedly, is still not great), and does the drum/guitar thing quite well.

cominginsecond said:
I am quite sure that in addition to having the same capsules, they are identical in every way except the casing, and the ball-end w/ windscreen.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys and gals. Does anyone know of an online store where I could get an sm57/boom stand/cable combo? I've been looking around, but haven't been able to find any deals. Thanks

www.thomann.de

I love them!, great prices, and for me its a 20 euro packing cost no matter how big the order. I just ordered a New PA off them and waiting the arival.

- Idgeit

I'm prety sure the 58 has a low-frequency roll off to compensate for proximity effect from close micing vocals ie, during live performance

Could be wrong though, there will be some graphs somwhere on the web...

My Name said:
I'm prety sure the 58 has a low-frequency roll off to compensate for proximity effect from close micing vocals
Nope - it doesn't have any different roll-off than the 57 does....

Here - right from the horse's mouth:
the Shure knowledge database said:
SM57 vs SM58

Question: What are the real reasons an SM58 should be used for vocals, and an SM57 be used for instruments? Of course, everybody seems to use these mics as mentioned. No one has given me a convincing reason for this, other than 'That's just what you do- everyone does it this way'. Please ease my anxious mind!

Answer: It is true the SM57 and SM58 microphones are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference between them is in the grille design. The SM58 was designed for vocal application and it uses a separate grille with a very effective pop filter. The SM57 was designed as an instrument microphone where smaller grille size is preferred. In this application the pop and wind are not usually a concern. The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly, where grille is actually a part of the cartridge. These two grille designs place the diaphragm of the microphones in a different acoustical environment. First of all, the distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is significantly shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for closer sound pickup with even more pronounced proximity effect. Secondly, a different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz.

And more...

Question:
---- 09/23/2001 09:37 AM ---------------------------------------------
Hi Why does the 57 sound so much different than the 58? I know the grill affects the sound and so does porting and microphone body shape and size. The specs say the 57 goes a bit lower yet many people feel the 58 is bassier sounding. I'm guessing their perception of bass is actually lower mids but I can't find any frequency graphs on your site to confirm this. I would have expected the 57 to sound bassier because a greater proximity effect is possible since you can get closer to the cartridge but I guess many people's sense of bass is not really low frequency extension.

---- 09/23/2001 09:49 AM ----------------------------------------------
the graphs I viewed in PDF format doen't seem to correspond with what I hear. Do these mics have different proximty effect characteristics?

Answer: The SM58 and the SM57 share the same mic element, the Unidyne III. The only difference between the these two models is the grill design.

The grill design does affect the high frequency response, particularly above 8,000 Hz.

The SM57 grill design allows more proximity effect because the mic diaphragm can be placed closer to the sound source. Proximity effect increases each time the distance from the mic to the source is halved. When a mic is placed very close, it is quite easy to halve the distance: 1 inch to 1/2 inch; 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch; etc. Remove the ball grill from the SM58 and it will be more similar to the SM57 in its low frequency response.

Any other differences you hear between the SM57 and SM58 are likely to be subjective (psycho-acoustic) or due to slight manufacturing differences due to part tolerance.

Question: Do the SM58 and SM57 mics have the same frequency response curves? Is a 58 simply a 57 with an integral pop filter/windscreen?

Answer: The SM58 and SM57 do use the same cartridge. The grill, though, does effect the frequency response to some extent. At a distance, the difference is probably not noticable. But at extremely close distances, the difference is noticeable. Due to the grill, a person's mouth can get closer to the diaphragm of an SM57, thus causing more proximity effect and increased bass when compared to the SM58.

Note that the cartridges are not interchangable because the mounting scheme is different for the two microphones.
Hopefully, this puts the question to rest.................... :cool:

"First of all, the distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is significantly shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for closer sound pickup with even more pronounced proximity effect. Secondly, a different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz."

This must be what i'm hearing. Makes more sense now. Cheers Bear

I'm not aware of any dynamic mic that doesn't need a transformer, although I suppose there's one somewhere to prove the rule.

Anyway, if you need to record harp, I'd lean towards the 58, as it's much easier to cup with its ball end.

My favorite solution is to buy a Beta 57 and a spare ball end, which is like $10. Then you have either setup, with a better high end and a bit more output to boot. It's a pricier option though.

cominginsecond said:

What Bear said.

I prefer the SM57 simple because it lets me get just a little closer as when micing a snare head but, the goofy ball is nice when you get a 10 year old drummer that can't aim yet (i.e. my son)

Well I'll be damned! I never knew the 57 and 58 were the same. I'm glad I never bought a 58. My friend bought one and he has always contended that it was a better mic, but I never heard a difference. All 8 of my 57's are extremely versitile and I love them. Once I get my condenser next week though, I'll never use the 57 for vocals again. :)

SonicClang said:
Once I get my condenser next week though, I'll never use the 57 for vocals again. :)

Don't be too sure. The 57 is gonna work better on occasion. For example, it's nice for backing vocals that you don't want to compete with the lead.

Back