sm57 clones...

drummerdude666

immature
There have been a few threads about this... but whenever the question 'are the clones as good as the real deal' people get laughed at, and the thread is lost as people start taking the piss.

If the clones sound like shit then fair enough, but i'd like to hear from people who've used them.

Yes sm57s are cheap already, but i'm on a budget. I can buy 3 sm57 clones for the price of one real sm57.

In a home studio, with a crap room...will the difference between the real and fake prove sufficiant to justify me buying the real deal. Or would my money be better spent getting the clones and doing up my room.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: NL5
Yo 666- what Noisedude said. Some mics have more markup in them than others. I have quite a bit of pull at Guitar Center. They sell SM57's for $80. I can buy them for- $80. They sell Sennheiser e835's and AKG D770's for $80. I can buy them for-$36. Either mic is as good, IMHO, as an SM57. Why buy a no-name clone of a 57 when you can get real Sennheisers and AKG's for about the same price as the cheap copy? The Sennheisers and AKG's are at least, real German and Austrian mics, not Chinese copies of American mics, and they are clones of nothing.-Richie

I have six of the GLS ES57's and couldn't be happier. On drums they are great! On guitar cabs they are very close to a shure. Now I just wish they made a Sennheiser 421 clone. On that day, I will die and go to heaven.

The Sennheiser E835, and the Superluxes both look quite chunky in comparision to the 57s. They'll be used for mic'ing drums.

ie. all the little bits, so one at the batter side of the kick. One underneath the snare, on the batter of toms.

...and any other places that i can dream up :)

I have to say..I LOVE this forum. I post, then a few min later the replies start flooding in. Rep to all that have helped.

Anyway...back to mics. So you guys recon the Senns or the Superluxs would still be suitable for this job?

Good work - have it, mate! £35 delivered is a good buy. It's very useful for vocals and amps you know ....

Mark7 said:
E835 for £30 BIN here

Right, i'll get that now. Thankyou mate.

That'll go underneath my snare (or batter of kick).

What shall i do for toms? e604s?

Up until now i've been either useing crappy cheap dynamics, borrowing some e604 or just using overheads.

I have an SM57 clone. I have done a 1 on 1 comparison with the real deal on a guitar amp. The clone sucked. It was definately NOT the same mic, even though it looked exactly the same. Don't buy one.

Halion said:
I have an SM57 clone. I have done a 1 on 1 comparison with the real deal on a guitar amp. The clone sucked. It was definately NOT the same mic, even though it looked exactly the same. Don't buy one.

Thanks, where did you buy your clone from?

drummerdude666 said:
Right, i'll get that now. Thankyou mate.

That'll go underneath my snare (or batter of kick).

What shall i do for toms? e604s?

Up until now i've been either useing crappy cheap dynamics, borrowing some e604 or just using overheads.

Cool. Hope you find it useful :)

Back