SM Pro Audio gear? any experiences?

e-man

oldbie
was wondering if anyone has had any experience with SM Pro audio gear. seems to be in the budget price range, and was wondering about the quality and performance.

thanks in advnce for any info.

later...

I had one of thier 8 Channel mic pre-amps and 4 of the channels went dead in 4 months. :mad:
I would stay away.

This may be only instance where I would recommend behringer over another brand. With behringer at least some people seem to be happy with them (I'm happy with about 50% of my behri gear), I don't think I've ever heard one positive comment about SM Pro

I have had behringer preamps before, and was never very satisfied with their performance... noisey, had to wait for the damned nite light to heat up...

Now I have a SM-PR8mkII...

Big difference, quiet, simple, and I don't have to look at the pseudo-industrial look of the behringer.

had mine two years now, smooth sailing...

My only gripe about the product is that they sent the unit with a 2-conductor power cable, probably to save money...

Pro stands for "Please Read Owners-manual" it is not intended to indicate a level of quality, the manufacturers are covering the lcd by reminding them to "read"

LewisWu said:
Now I have a SM-PR8mkII...

Big difference, quiet, simple, and I don't have to look at the pseudo-industrial look of the behringer.

had mine two years now, smooth sailing...

My only gripe about the product is that they sent the unit with a 2-conductor power cable, probably to save money...

Yeah ... I've got one also, though mine shipped with a three conductor power cord.
Open yours up ... you'll find it full of cheap un-shielded ribbon wires, plastic jacks and a bunch of hot-glue.
Yeah, it's quiet (approx. -98dB noise floor) but it doesn't offer a tremendous amount of gain (something like +40dB Mic and +50dB Line) anyway. Add the ADAT option card, for a lightpipe interface and kiss the noise floor good bye (jumps up to around -74dB). Sum all 8 channels and your sitting at around -54dB (+ or - a few dB's). Mine doesn't see much action anymore. I do have some ideas in the works for the ADAT card though.

Yeah, i noticed the craftsmanship too...

never really cared about the adat option, have used the preamp as a front end for my delta for a while though. I have noticed the lack of gain, but the utility for me, now (and with less noise than the behringer) far out weighs the lack of gain.

I have read a few posts on diy pages about using a modded adat option card, but lacking an adat interface, I never persued any of those routes.

if u want 1~2 chennl budget ones, studioproject or the m-audio DM3
for 8 chs at at the same price range...... well... huh.. huh... mmm.. huh... they get the job done

Back