SM Pro Audio 8 channel preamp?

SilentSound

Has anyone used it or it's modded version?

SM Pro Audio PRE

Black Lion Mod

I'll be purchasing the Sytek MPX-4AII, an FMR RNP, and a dual channel yet to be determined for 8 channels of different character, but am looking for a workhorse for drums, etc. The PR8E is under 200$ and the mod another 365$.

If anyone has used either version of the PRE8E, let me know--I'm dying to hear about it! Thanks!

MM

Personally i wouldn't pick up the sm pro. i'd consider that a complete waste of finances.the black lion mod is just more crap. those guys would talk you into changing the power cord if they could make more money.
start with a quality piece of gear that you won't need to get 'modded'. there are no short cuts .
two rnp is better off than any modded sm pro .

Last edited:
If anyone has used either version of the PRE8E, let me know--I'm dying to hear about it! Thanks!

MM

Yep,
It's complete rubbish.I had mine for a day before I sold it...fortunately, i got nmy money back and since then when I see SM Pro anywhere, I steer away from it.

thanks for the comments! i have the first 8 channels of spending on more character-based preamps somewhat solidly mapped out but need a good 4-8 for utility and cost-effectiveness.

i didn't want to just go with 4 Sytek, a stereo FMR Audio RNP, and 2 pseudo-esoteric and expensive topped off with 4 more stereo FMR channels for a total of 16; I was hoping for 8 channels for less than 200/ch.--something quicker but not necessarily as wide bandwidth for drums, and something not RNP's--and something a touch cheaper.

I've heard the Makie Onyx and Focusrite Octopre get slammed AND praised but they seem to be two good options at this point beyond picking up a used 8 channel Neve console at a yard sale for 50 bucks...:) their specs both check out and price makes it fit in my kinda specific budget.

can anyone shed light on the functional and non-spec differences as well as any alternatives?

Back