SM-57 vs. E609

Venesectrix

I have an Marshall AVT275 and a Les Paul Studio.
What I'm wondering is, what would be better?
Just your classic SM-57?
Or the Sennheiser E609, that's basicly made for miking guitar amps?
Both are around the same price.
I play a pretty even mix of melodic and heavy guitar.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Now THATS helpful! :cool:

The 609 Silver smokes it on a guitar cabinet with dirty guitars, and it doubles nicely on toms and other things too.
Better rejection. Better top, better mids.
Killer buy.

I think that "Recording Law" states that you have at least several SM-57's and 58's at some point, so you really should go there at some point.

That being said, the 609 has a pretty nice flavor to it also. But CLIP IT - That "laying it on the grille" thing is nice for live work, but there's normally WAY too much mechanical noise to make it viable for studio use.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Massive Master said:
That being said, the 609 has a pretty nice flavor to it also. But CLIP IT - That "laying it on the grille" thing is nice for live work, but there's normally WAY too much mechanical noise to make it viable for studio use.

when i tried doing that for recording, i got this weird buzzing or clicking sound or something. i figured it must have been from touching the grill... i clipped it and moved it back like 3 inches and it sounds awesome.

Another good one in this price range (used) is the Ev-635a. I love this mic for dirty guitars. I have never used the e609 but I can tell you that I don't care for the 57 on guitars very much and I own 4 or 5 of them.

Rocket Boy said:
when i tried doing that for recording, i got this weird buzzing or clicking sound or something. i figured it must have been from touching the grill... i clipped it and moved it back like 3 inches and it sounds awesome.
What did you mean by "clip it?"

By the way thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think Rocket Boy meant that he put the mic in an actual mic clip instead of hanging it over the amp the way sennheiser does in their marketing pics and stuff. You know, its flat so it can just hang and be ok. I guess it is not "really" ok for a recording situation.

Im pretty happy with my 421 on guitar cab, but was wondering if I'm missing something with the 609e Silver (as far as guitar goes/how different is the sound)....i hear its a nice drum mic too.

I've draped the mic over my cabinet, and it worked great. I did this all weekend. I also used it with a stand. I could tell no discernible difference.

Phosphene said:
Im pretty happy with my 421 on guitar cab, but was wondering if I'm missing something with the 609e Silver (as far as guitar goes/how different is the sound)....i hear its a nice drum mic too.

You arent missing much with a 421 for sure, but it is a somewhat different flavor, and well worth the $99 to have it around. Use it on toms, and try it as an alternate heavy guitar mic. It could win some shootouts, never know.
As much as I like it, it doesnt get used as much as my 441 on cabinets. In fact, nothing I own gets used like the 441 does. It just sounds good on everything.

I can´t tell any difference. To my ears hanging over the amp or using a clip are the same situation, can´t find which one is better. I read somewhere that Jeff Beck used to hang a SM57 over his amp. But who knows, let you ears rule!! ;)

Hey guys,

I love my MD441 and my MD421 too. I use them a LOT. However, the e609 Silver is just too much of a kickass microphone to NOT HAVE A COUPLE AROUND! We tried it for a narration microphone over this last weekend & it worked great for that purpose also...go figure it's a Sennheiser for God's sake. And Sennheiser definitely make kick ass microphones!:)

Back