SM 57, converting XLR to 1/4...

iravage

Hey, im going to buy the sm57 microphone, i want to plug the mic into my sound card, can i get away with an xlr to 1/4 cable or do i need a low z to high z transfromer?
Thanks
Andrew

Hopefully , someone can answer this....Im go from my mics to preamp with a XLR to 1/4" cable...am I losing quality by doing this instead of going XLR to XLR....

Tube mic cable, tube mic stand, and thanks to a tip from Ed, a tube mic pop screen.....

I got the hookup.....

Gidge said:
Hopefully , someone can answer this....Im go from my mics to preamp with a XLR to 1/4" cable...am I losing quality by doing this instead of going XLR to XLR....
If you're matching impedances properly and converting XLR to balanced 1/4", you should be fine...

Bruce

If your going low z to high z, yes, you'll need a transformer.
If you need to go to a 1/4" balanced you'll just need a converter.

im not sure if this makes a difference but i can put the mic through my guitar effects pedal to up the signal. But anyway, Transformer or Cable? even after reading that shure stuff im still not sure. i wanna order this thing allready, heh
thanks, Andrew

Is eleven years plus a few weeks a new record for thread necromancy?

Anyway, I smell the distinctive whiff of a spambot....

It a meal post now!!!

I had a dozen jumbo shrimps, a salad, and pasta. Chocolate and a coffee for desert.

Beef bourguignon here, with shiitake mushrooms;
served over Homestyle buttered egg noodles with
chopped fresh herbs - yum!

Still afternoon here but for dinner tonight I'm doing salted chilli squid over a rocket salad and with potato wedges. Oh, and a nice De Bortoli Traminer Riesling to go with it.

Earlier this week I made an all day spagetti sauce. So last night on the way home I picked up two loaves of Ciabatta bread, three Vadalia onions and some Mozzarella. Sliced the two loaves of Ciabatta lengthwise and put some of the sauce on them, covered with the Mozzarella, carmelized the onions and covered the bread along with some pepperoni. Into the oven and Presto! It was yummi!

Back