Slow VIA chipset?

rdeboer

Hi all,

I've got an interesting issue for you all;

I plan on getting a Creamware Pulsar II card for my WinPC. When I was reading through some reviews (all hailing the card) I read this;

"You may run into problems with some motherboards for AMD processors that are built around a VIA133 chipset. The Pulsar II runs ok on them, but other motherboards would be a lot better, to fully exploit the power. If you do have problems with your motherboard, you can get a program called Powertweak II for 25 dollars (www.powertweak.com) which will optimize your motherboard and solve all the problems.

Additional note: "sometimes Powertweak will not resolve everything and the best is to upgrade to a newer motherboard". It seems that most Intel or Mac people won't have much problems."

(www.futureproducers.com/articles/reviews/pulsar2/page2.shtml)

I use a Gigabyte motherboard with an AMD 1,4 Ghz processor stacked with 512 MB DDR (PC2100). When I read the specifications of the Gigabyte I saw that the south bridge is from AMD and the North bridge is a VIA chipset.

The article does not mention anything about the north or southbridge:confused: ... Does it matter whether it is the north or southbridge?

Does anyone have experience with this or have an answer?

Cheers,

Ryan

Back