Slot Resonator

Ziller

So I built a slot resonator. It's freestanding, 5' wide, 4 feet tall and 9" deep. The slats are 3/4" poplar and alternate between 1/8" and 1/4" spacing. It sets up off the floor about 2 feet. I definitely notice a major difference in the sound of the room. I was going to hang more blankets, but now I think I need to take some down! It sounds very dry in there now. I must confess, I had my doubts that it would work, but it certainly does. And it looks cool.

My question is: I didn't put any insulation in. Do I need to? What does it do? I constructed it so that I could just pop the back off and get to the inside, and figured I'ld insulate later, but now I'm not sure if I need to.

Thanks for any input,
Ziller

Also, does the resonator require that the slots be completely uncovered to work properly? In other words, is that Led Zepplin poster I have in the middle of it going to matter?

Thanks

[Edited by Ziller on 02-20-2001 at 03:57]

Well as I understand it ..yes you must have the insulation inside as it deadens the resonators :) Also the open neck of each port should be free to resonate so Zepplin will have to fly again.

cheers
John

Thanks. I'll line the inside with some 3 1/2" fiberglass and see what happens. It certainly does seem to have an effect on the room now, though. I also didn't use the cloth on the inside. I didn't think the poster on it would matter because the cloth on the inside would have also covered the slots.

John - I did get the idea from your studio design site. Thanks a bunch, it's a great resource.

Ziller

I am building some of these as well, and have a similar question. The fabric goes across the back of the slot resonators, and the insulation behind that, not stuffed in the back face of the box. What keeps the insulation against the front face? Are the diagrams drawn assuming a more rigid insulation than batts, or am I taking the drawing too literally?

Thanks to John for a great resource.

kEVINk

Back