Slightly OT: GC's return policy/AT3035

prestomation

Hey everbody.

My dad purchased an AT3035 for me for christmas, but I'm thinking of taking it back. It seems like a nice mic, but i'm thinking of upgrading a little bit. The only LDC's I currently own are a pair of SP B1's, which I like alot. From reviews I've read, it seems it's not quite worth the upgrade from the B1's. I do like the B1 on pretty much everything, but I'd like to spring a little more for a better mic. I'm thinking of putting another $100 into it and getting the AT4040. It seems like a major step up. What do you guys think? It would probably be used for pretty much everything, but vocals would probably be most important.
What are some other choices you guys would pick in the $200-$300 range? I've also been looking at the CAD M179 or possibly the ADK's in that range, what do you think?

There's another problem, as you could tell from the topic. My dad got it from Guitarcenter, which has a no-return policy on microphones for health reasons. I just called them, and the guy said you can return "Drum mics and studio condensors because they have no health risk". He acted like I can take it back, but I don't necesarilly trust him. What are you experiences with mic returns at GC? If I am stuck with it, then it's not a big deal. Still seems like a nice mic :)

One of my local GCs has an used AT4033 for sale. This leads me to believe they'll take your mic on return, especially if you haven't used it.

I've seen someone sell a used Neumann TLM103 to Guitar Center. I don't see why you couldn't return the AT3035. That was almost a year ago though. Maybe they've changed their policies since then.

...the salesmen at GC have set up various mics for me to demo/sing-into in the store (Oktava MK319 mics in one particular instance)...after we tested them for sound quality, the ones I didn't purchase were put back into new stock, so why wouldn't they return a mic that's just been bought?...

What health reasons? The only health issue I can think of is someone licking the microphone grill directly after someone spit on it.

Davidson said:
What health reasons? The only health issue I can think of is someone licking the microphone grill directly after someone spit on it.

It may be a bit overkill but at zZounds we never accept returns on microphones, unless it's clear they've never been opened.

I never have a problem, but I shop with the same guys, and a lot. They know that I wouldn't abuse whatever it may be, especially mics. Just tell them you've never used it, or you used a pop filter with it.

As far as recomendations go...

I hae the 4040 and it is a great mic, but it is VERY transparent. No color here, so my Larrivee sounds great because it is a great sounding guitar, but my voice needs some color because it an aggressive voice.

I have some ADK SC1's, but that won't help you with a LDC choice. But I do love them.

The CAD seems to be an intriguing mic to me. I used the M137 (old Musician's Friend copy of the M177-- the M139 was the MF copy of the M179-- exactly the same mics) and I liked it a lot on my voice, but I didn't have it long enough (borrowed it) to know if it was versatile or not. Hope this helps.

Pete

They use that policy as it suits them. If you are going to spend more money on a trade in they will take it back for certain.

I would take that 3035 back too...trade it for a 4050 or a 4047.

If you haven't used it, or better yet opened the package there shouldn't be a problem. Yes, they are very inconsistent in enforcing that return policy, so it may be a matter of bitching at and hassling them until they figure it's not worth their time to refuse it. It's a pretty stupid rule but I've been burnt by it once (on headphones, the over the ear ones :rolleyes: )

I suspect the GC return policy on microphones is as much an attempt to avoid the "weekend rental" syndrome as a health issue. After all, if they're selling used and demo mics with no cleanup or refurbishment, they can't be all that concerned about your health.

I haven't heard them make any distinction between vocal mics and insturment mics in this respect. I met a lot of resistance when returning a Sennheiser e609 guitar amp mic to GC last year. However, they did take the mic back because the no-return policy wasn't made clear to me at the time of purchase.

Alan

Hey guys. I went ahead and went with the AT4040. I have only used it a little bit, but I like what I'm hearing.

When I went to the counter with my AT3035 and told him i wanted to return it he said "I must ask you something, what have you been using it for?" I told him I never used it and he simply took it back.

"When I went to the counter with my AT3035 and told him i wanted to return it he said "I must ask you something, what have you been using it for?" I told him I never used it and he simply took it back"

That's good news. Even so, I suspect it depends on the individual at the counter. Sounds like you found an agreeable one.

Alan

Back