Sleazy Detective

pglewis

Here's another dissonant, soupy, Tryptophan song. I bit the bullet on this one and re-transferred all the tracks to the computer through the 8/24 and started my mix from scratch. I simply screwed up way too many things on the previous mix (funny how ya start to hear that stuff later).

This is the rough mix I've got thus far. Once again: Dave Morrison on drums, me on bass, Austin Brown wrote it and did everything else. I haven't really positioned the drum kit in stereo yet, and I'll probably end up re-cutting the bass but I think this one is close.
www.idrive.com
visit: dreaming_polecat
song: Sleazy

Gee, a bass player in charge of recording.

The thing this reminds me most of (the whole sound, not just the guitar) is Daniel Lanois.

I really like this. I'd go for a whole CD of these guys if every song didn't sound exactly like this. Elegant.

What's tryptophan? Sounds like a prescription drug.

I liked this one a lot...the dissonance worked great....this song had a "Rain" (Beatles) feel to it with ...this one's better than "Funnel"...the panning and vocals and general mix plus effects was really really good...I don't normally like long exits in a tune, but the sound coming after the final vocal was super....it carried me along and ended at just the right time....gibs

dobro: Nah, I'm another dime-a-dozen freakin' guitarist. I ended up cutting bass on several tracks, but I'm mostly recording, mixing, and a little production on this stuff. Daniel Lanois... you are far too kind. Tryptophan is the amino acid that makes you want a nap after that huge turkey dinner.

gibs: The old mix was really buggin' me. I definitely screwed up a lot less this time around. Dave really makes that instrumental section happen. I love how he plays, I just wish I could do his snare more justice.

pglewis, that was soupy bro (in a good way).

The mix sounded great. I hear what you're saying about "doing the snare drum justice". The kick drum is nice and punchy, but the snare is a bit lost.

...but great stuff - keep em comin'.

Very cool tune man. Very ethereal sound ... I like it a lot. I want to hear the drums & bass a little louder, though. If nothing more, bring up the snare at least. Cymbals don't seem to be stereo, but as you said you're still working on that. It's a great drum sound ... and a great drummer, I wish I could hear it better.
You sound like you're speaking in tongues with that effect on the main vocal. :)
I dig the spacey-ness of the effect, but I can't understand what you're saying. Sounds like you doubled it, maybe? How about playing one track louder than the other and pan slightly so they're not on top of each other? Just a thought anyway.
Overall ... great mix ... very open sounding ... excellent sound quality. And this is the rough mix! :) Good job!

Teddie: Thanks, man. I think I improved the snare a little after the last mix you heard. The problem is that Dave gets a LOT of different tones out of the snare. I EQ'ed out some rings that were making it wimpy in the intro (which sounds a lot better now, I think). But that same EQ setting doesn't work everywhere in the song. The latest mix so far has "wp3" in the file name.

BK: I'm trying to keep the bass as subconscious as possible... just trying to frame the progression, rhythm, or just add some bottom through the song. I may have brought the snare up a tad since the mix you heard, and I'll probably tinker with it a little more before calling it quits. The drums are a 4-mic setup: kick, snare, floor-tom, overhead. I'm still thin in the mic dept., and I'm just squeezing what I can out of a single C1000S overhead. I'm not gating anything, so I can kinda use to floor-tom mic to spread the drum mix a little. The voice isn't me... I only did bass on this tune. I'll eventually have the balls to post something of my own with vocals. But you're right... it's a doubled take. There's a tiny bit of subtle delay, but most of the "weird effect" comes from him singing the lines differently. One vocal track is very dark and poorly EQ'ed at the source (RTR 8-track). The other is more crisp. They ended up blending in an "interesting" way, but that's another spot I could improve in the mix. I'll try a couple of those suggestions.

I love the drum stuff from start to finish. I really dig the snare rolls from 1:20 to 2:00. Man, with winamps repeat toggled on. this song really sinks in. I cant quite place who this sounds like.

psychadelic...i was flashing fer a second there...

I think it needs some de-essing. Other than that, I'm even more experienced now. ;)

Wild thing...crazy...yet oddly relaxing.

Kaputo: Yeah, I'm really glad I met Dave. I hope to get him in here to do some drumming on some of my own stuff eventually. He's the drummer for the "Ass Pony's", who have a fairly new CD out ("Some Stupid With a Flare Gun"). I like to give the local boys a plug ;). As for Austin's songs, he and I have joked that they're kinda "parasitic". They do sort of "sink in".

Ric: *LOL*, had the de-esser in at first but I started running out of DSP power. I'll need to process some stuff off-line before I have the horsepower to put it back. Leave it to the vocalist to hear that one :D. Thanks for the ears, as always.

pglewis,

I've tried to listen to your stuff at idrive but I keep getting this security message. I'm new there so perhaps it's normal?

Rusty K

I liked it a lot. Just the whole feel of the song,just my kinda stuff ya know. Anyway, the recording sounded pretty good as well. Nice job.

Back