Slanted Ceilings

Spinning Slowly

I'm a beginner to both music and recording, and the only rehearsal/recording space I have is a room 20x15' with 3' walls and then these ceilings that slope up at around 45 degrees. My question is are there any precautions in room setup I need to take. I am working with 2 SM-57, 1 SM-58, 1 Nady Starpower (cheap), and strange no-name mike that is fairly cheap but it has this strange effect on my vocals that I like.*ANYWAY* It is all going into a 6 channel Studiomaster mixer and then to a Sony cassette deck (I'm saving for a 4-track). Any help would be applied and appreciated.

There are some acoustic problems with having angles that are 90 degrees or smaller in a room, ie. where the walls are closer together (not closer to a strait). This creates sound traps. But it can be a good thing as well, it makes your room uneique (if you like the sound that is).

For most home recordists you have what you have, and theres normaly nothing you can do. It's not like a bad room can ruin a band or anything, and most people would normaly not even notice.

You arn't trying to achive pro recordings, and your equiptment would probobly make more differance than the room so you should be fine.

You can always do small things like line the walls with carpet and blankets (these give the room more of a dead sound, as opposed to alive, the carpet exorbs sound giving off less reverbration), but thats normaly not cheap, and may not be worth it.

Good Luck!!!
omnipotent

[This message has been edited by omnipotent (edited 04-15-2000).]

Back