slam it: liquidjazz

h kuhn

so i will jump into the cold water and post a song we recorded recently. Be careful, it is kind of Bebop/Hardbop/latin style, so if this causes alergic reactions to you you may better back off.
There was no eq done except for moving the mics, but we did overdubs. Reverb is only what the room gave me.
Here it is:
www.besonic.com/liquidjazz

ps: besonic hasn't got a payback system like mp3.com, so this is really not about hits...
thank you
Harald

Man you need a good drummer ! Make that a great drummer, to keep up with you guys. That drum stick thing is really distracting, and takes away from the fact that you guys are some serious musicians. The track is a bit loose rhythm wise, but there are some great ideas, and great playing there. I don't think it would sound as loose without that drum stick accenting those beats the whole time. Great bass sound, what kind of bass\amp are you using ? The guitar could use a bit more bottom and sustain IMO, maybe mic position might do it ?

Anyway, pretty inspiring ( and humbling ) ;)

pAp.

PapillonIrl said:
Man you need a good drummer ! Make that a great drummer, to keep up with you guys. That drum stick thing is really distracting, and takes away from the fact that you guys are some serious musicians. The track is a bit loose rhythm wise, but there are some great ideas, and great playing there. I don't think it would sound as loose without that drum stick accenting those beats the whole time. Great bass sound, what kind of bass\amp are you using ? The guitar could use a bit more bottom and sustain IMO, maybe mic position might do it ?

Anyway, pretty inspiring ( and humbling ) ;)

pAp.

thank you!
well, that drumstick thing is the idea of the piece...its called "clave", but you are right, it might be better if a real drummer had been playing it...
the bass is played directly into that "tube mp", the bass is a yamaha 6 string afaik, have to ask the bass man (who is the composer, too), very little compression, about 1:1.5. Actually the guy sounds like this no matter how shitty the instrument is he plays (I have heard him on various instruents)
I had to cut the guitar (by mic position and lifting the amp on a chair) because if I give it a fuller sound, the result is a big mud in the low mids, because the bass is played more like a low guitar. But I agree with the sustain thing. Don't you think the whole trackit sounds too dry?

Yes it is a little dry. Maybe some tasteful reverb on the trumpet and guitar ? I still can't get over that bass sound\player :)

I see what you mean now about the stick thing, but I still think it is a bit loud. Did you record this all together or seperate ? You don't find many people into this sort of music, do you study music ? The only record I have bought recently that is anyway jazz influenced is the St. Germain album, have you heard that ?

pAp.

PapillonIrl said:
Yes it is a little dry. Maybe some tasteful reverb on the trumpet and guitar ? I still can't get over that bass sound\player :)

I see what you mean now about the stick thing, but I still think it is a bit loud. Did you record this all together or seperate ? You don't find many people into this sort of music, do you study music ? The only record I have bought recently that is anyway jazz influenced is the St. Germain album, have you heard that ?

pAp.

The bass player earns his money in a cover band that plays over 400miles away from here in tampico, the guitar player plays double bass in the local symphonic, and I try to teach a couple of music students in the universitys music department how to avoid the mistakes I made in my musical career...apart from that I spent my spare time (and money) to build up a humble little homestudio and transcribe John Coltrane. Don't know about St Germain, what kind of music is it?

even though I am listening at 24 kbps, I am really feeling the song.

The only thing I can say is that you should make it stereo.

Nice song

peace

CyanJaguar said:
even though I am listening at 24 kbps, I am really feeling the song.

The only thing I can say is that you should make it stereo.

Nice song

peace

ups. it IS stereo, or at least should be. I will check this. Thank you,
Harald

those sticks gotta go....some other type of percussion is in order...doesnt have to be full out drums.....shakers, maraccas(sp?), anything.....

also 24kps makes it very hard to make suggestions on tone and eq .....try 192kps.....

Like CJ said, it needs to be in stereo....while you may have a stereo track as in 2 tracks (left,right) it just sounds like BigMono....certain elements have to be panned harder.....that rhythm guitar off to the left a bit, maybe a shaker or whatever(not the sticks) off to the right a bit.......

the playing was excellent......what did u record on?....

go to "download"!!!

Gidge said:
those sticks gotta go....some other type of percussion is in order...doesnt have to be full out drums.....shakers, maraccas(sp?), anything.....

also 24kps makes it very hard to make suggestions on tone and eq .....try 192kps.....

Like CJ said, it needs to be in stereo....while you may have a stereo track as in 2 tracks (left,right) it just sounds like BigMono....certain elements have to be panned harder.....that rhythm guitar off to the left a bit, maybe a shaker or whatever(not the sticks) off to the right a bit.......

the playing was excellent......what did u record on?....

You have to download the song, there it is at 128kb/s stereo. The panning is horn (center) bass(left) gtr (right). If you mind downloading the whole song, you can stop the download and get the incomplete song from your temp directory (use the search function) The file is about 4mb. The mono 24kb "play" option is only to get a vague impression. BTW 128kbs/24kbs are the only bitrates besonic allows, sorry about that.

The song was recorded via hoontech dsp2000 to HD, no eq (apart from low cut on gtr) or comp in the path. Guitar mic is at4035, the amp was a "peavey audition chorus" (horrible), horn mike mc012 omni from the side, preamp "ultragain 2200", bass direct via tube mp.
I will be uploading a new mix tonight, without the clave. But I think it doesnt work without it.

Nice stuff. The clave for me is a bit too loud, but most important is the fact that it is the only rythym in the song, with a guitar doubling it no less. You can still keep that lick, just put some busier percussion in the background. Great stuff.

Back