SL-990 vs SL-880

I have tried the Logic Controllers at Guitar Center....I was not impressed....you get what you pay for nowdays.

I instead picked up the Yamaha P80
Cant stress enough what a quality digital piano needs to be, but we are talking $1000

The P80 is a sweet piano, the best I've tried in that price range and the best feel of realism.

From all the reviews I read people seem to think that the Studiologics have the best weighted key action. :(

Too bad I can't try any of them out.
Any other ideas?

OK, I'll answer myself again.

From Music Industries:

There are 3 (!) different types of SL-990's.

SL-990 (some list it as the SL-990 ES) - has same weighted hammer action keyboard people know and love above all others. Doesn't have pitch bend of selectable 4 zones of control.

SL-990 PRO - lacking same electronics, and has an inferior "light" hammer action keyboard, sometimes called "graded action". It may be the one you tried Stealthtech.

SL-990 XP - back to a keyboard more in line with the original SL-990 and SL-880 PRO, but not the exact same. Judgement call as to whether it's as good or better, but definately better than the SL-990 PRO. Much more electronics, ala SL-880.

So I got the SL-990 original.

A word to the budget conscious and wise - there's a reason the SL-990 PRO is so cheap right now at musicians friend....

Back