skips/blips... n-track with the MOTU-828 interface

jcnoernberg

i recently got the motu-828 interface and have been using it with n-track. however, im noticing some skips in my recordings. i record via firewire into my laptop (1.6ghz, 512mb ram). i first noticed it while recording 7 tracks at once, but I tried micing only the drum kit (4 tracks) and I still get skips. do i have to adjust some sort of buffer settings? im pretty sure my laptop can handle it. any input would help me out. anyone else have similar problems? Thanks!!!!

You do want to use the ASIO drivers.
May also help to set your levels viewing n-track record meters prior to hitting record then shut them off. (I've had a few click and pops when I leave them on) specialy at 96Khz.
May also be a harddrive problem most laptops only have a 4200 RPM drive.... rather slow for audio multitracking. Consider a second firewire drive at 7200 RPM for all audio data.
My setup is:
Winders XP Home
HP Pavilion zu1175 laptop 700Mhz 512 RAM Hitachi 7200 RPM laptop drive (tweaked to the hilt for DAW only!!!)
SIIG 1394 CardBus Dual - 2-port CardBus-to-1394 FireWire
Western Digital 120 gig 7200 RPM Firewire drive (audio data only)
MOTU828mkII
Works great for me!!

Start you buffering at around 1024 thru the MOTU console then work your way down.

At any rate .... there are many variables to consider when setting up a DAW specially when it's a laptop - IRQ's for one, laptops tend to share all the good ones. best bet is to disable shared devices that aren't needed like nic, modem, internal sound card etc...

If this is your only computer, it may be helpfull to set up different hardware profiles allowing you to boot up as a reg. computer or as a DAW. Info on Hardware profiles can be found at http://www.blackviper.com/

Good Luck and Happy Recording

Ken

Edit- look to the left of the blackviper site for - Windows Service Configurations

TJ .... I'm in there buddy

I'm a newbie to all these forums. I must say I have been living by your words and by those of the other masters such as Mac, Bubba, LearJeff, etc... All of the members of the FaSoft forum offer an unlimited wealth of knowledge. Not to mention Audiominds.com
(a little plug for ya) :)

At any rate I'm elated to be able to offer any help to those in need, for I have found myself in that situation many a times.

A true genius is not one who knows all the answers, but one who knows where to look for them.

Ken

cool.. sorry i didn't connect you as the same guy in N's forum. We see so many newbies, i lose track.

tj

Back