Sir Mix Alot Cover - Baby Got Back

nickg

Lets.hit.record!
Hey guys, this is my first post here! I've been reading for a while, and decided I'd finally jump on the bandwagon, register, and post a track. I recorded these guys (The Usual) a few months ago for a compilation CD I'm working on for a portfolio. I went ahead and mixed this track with the scratch piano & vox, as the vocalists have had a hard time with this one, and party too much. *tisk tisk*

Anyways, no more excuses.. here it is! Any feedback, suggestions, criticism, or snide remarks are welcome :)

Sorry to report that I tried to hear what you posted, but there was no sound. It looked like it was playing, but I couldn't get anything. Did you try to play your link? Is it just me?

Sorry to report that I tried to hear what you posted, but there was no sound. It looked like it was playing, but I couldn't get anything. Did you try to play your link? Is it just me?

The link worked for me, maybe I need to upload it elsewhere?

I think my laptop was bugging out. I'm responding from my **********. I'll try back later, and give you my impression. Sorry to trouble you - I'm sure it was something with my puter, because the same thing happened with another thread, right afterward. Shutting down for now.

The link worked for me.... still listening... an interesting take on this song. I vaguely remember the original and I don't think it sounded like this.

Okay, pretty good mix. I think there are points where the lead vox gets buried. The little guitar solo at 2:25 is pretty boring. At almost 5 and a half minutes, it's long. I didn't like the spoken part at the end. Is that how the origianl goes??

A few tweaks and this could be radio-ready.

Good job!!

Thanks for the input Chili! The track is originally an upbeat and fast rap song. So it's a totally different arrangement. Meant to be comically relieving... I have a tendency to tuck vocals into the music a bit rather than up front and in your face... So I'll bump it up a dB or two. You think the guitar solo needs more drive at 2:25 area? The end sounds a little weird because the delay is chopped off, and for some reason protools is giving me grief with my send level automation. So i'll have to probably redo that section. Thanks a lot for your time!

comically something. I laughed my ass off and then sent the link to pretty much all my closest friends. I didn't even listen to the mix. I love it.

LOL, awesome! Glad you enjoyed it... Still hoping for more mix critique!

I finally got to listen to this today, right before starting my dinner. All the while preparing the chicken, etc. all I could hear was the chorus in my head!
Going back, when I first started listening, I was a bit dumbfounded, because the music was so beautiful, and I couldn't understand how it could be funny (having read prior comments). As I listened, I began to understand. I had no idea what I was in for with this song! The mix sounds good. You already know the words don't go along with the music - but that was the point, right? I was just surprised at how beautiful and moving the music was, and, really, wished I could have that music for one of my songs!

Freekin Awesome

Wow Nick... just wow.

I see the attempt at humor for sure... I was a big fan of the original song (along with millions of others), but this takes the song to a whole new level that just doesn't say 'parody' to me. Its fantastic. Seriously.

I have to agree with one Chili about the spoken part at the end... if that were left out entirely, I'd love it more.

I think the mix sounds great to my ears. I'm still VERY much a noob when it comes to mixing (the main reason Im here), but I'm listening on KRK VXT8's in a pretty well treated room, and it sounds crisp and clean to me.

The sort-of abrupt fade in of the piano is a bit off-putting... perhaps that was an oops?

Again I'm with Chili... a few tweaks and its ready for prime time.

Ha ha!!!

:D:D

Whooo! Funny and touching at the same time! The mix is very lush and sounds big leauge. The vocals are so good, autotuned or not. The little guitar licks were so cool and tasteful but while I'm sitting there trying to focus on them I'd hear "my annaconda don't want none..." and fall out laughing! Thanks for posting this, just great! If you made a kitchy video for this it would blow up on the viral vid sites. Bottom line.

:D:D

Whooo! Funny and touching at the same time! The mix is very lush and sounds big leauge. The vocals are so good, autotuned or not. The little guitar licks were so cool and tasteful but while I'm sitting there trying to focus on them I'd hear "my annaconda don't want none..." and fall out laughing! Thanks for posting this, just great! If you made a kitchy video for this it would blow up on the viral vid sites. Bottom line.

LOL, glad you liked it! I can tell you the BGV's were tough. I tried to hide the autotune as much as possible. The guys were wiped out when we recorded it. In fact, weird story, but true (I'll try to keep it short...).

The guys were in town to play a show on a Friday night a while back, and the venue ended up backing out for whatever reason... So they called me asking if I knew where I could get a gig for them. So I found a venue for them, and I also offered to record to record a demo track for them for free. So being that we've worked together in the past, and they wanted a free recording, they decided to snuff the show, and we recorded through the night and into and through the next day till maybe 10 or 11PM? By the time we got to BGV's which was basically last, the guys were beat, and their voices were shot from fatigue. So, to wake themselves up, they decided to record the BGV's in boxers. Needless to say, I didn't look at the live room camera during those takes once I found out they stripped down... and yes, I found out the hard way. :(

Anyways, I'm a big fan of your music John. You have some great arrangements, and mix concepts. Very sonically pleasing! Thanks so much for taking the time and checking out some of my projects!

I don't know the original at all - sorry. That means I'll miss at least 1/2 the joke!
What you've offered, in terms of a song, sound really good - re do the guitar solo & it'll be really, really good.
The lyrics/narrative are nicely concealed & revealed by the arrangement - the lack of hubris/dismissiveness in the delivery certainly makes it less offensive.
The spoken part is a throw away to the original I assume - probably isn't necessary & only really focussed my attention on the delay effect.
You're a good recordist!

Wicked good.
What I want to know about is the piano...real one w/mics? Sampled? Which software? And, did you narrow the stereo field on it? It sounds a lot more comstricted to center than every other piano sample or real one I've noticed. And, did you do that to give room on the edges for the delay FX?
Which FX also reminds me..I gotta start using that delay thang...sounds great on your tune!

Hey guys, this is my first post here! I've been reading for a while, and decided I'd finally jump on the bandwagon, register, and post a track. I recorded these guys (The Usual) a few months ago for a compilation CD I'm working on for a portfolio. I went ahead and mixed this track with the scratch piano & vox, as the vocalists have had a hard time with this one, and party too much. *tisk tisk*

Anyways, no more excuses.. here it is! Any feedback, suggestions, criticism, or snide remarks are welcome :)

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are; that's funny right there...

Kick is a little upfront and dry, and I loathe the snare sound, but who gives a shit, this is hysterical!!!!

Back