Single or Full Albumn

specsGa

Hi I have an artist that we are about to release, i am unsure if releasing a single or the full-album would be beneficial. The artist hasn't played many shows and isn't locally known yet. I was planning a marketing strategy or three singles and then an album drop. Most of the singles would be used for promotions, D.J's and radio airplay, however some would be sold to offset some promotional monies. This would coincide with performances at open mics and perhaps booked gigs. I would like to know from those with experience how they approached the release of a new artist on an independent level?

How many of you that have a newly signed artist under your label release a single?

Do you sell or release for DJ,s, radios and promotional purposes?

Has it been successful?

Is this a good marketing strategy considering the current trends in single releases?

Thanks
Specs

although I do not run a label I find a good route would be to have the band play a couple shows (open mic or whatever) try to build a bit of a fan base then organize a cd release party at a popular club/venue if you can. Try to do an all ages and a bar show for this.. I find usually it's easier to sell merch at the all ages shows then the bar shows. It's kinda backwards that this band has label support without a history of playing shows though.. anyone else find that odd?

any links to the band? myspace? wouldn't mind taking a listen

Err... what business do you have releasing anything if you can't answer this simple question yourself? Not to be a jerk or anything, but seriously do some homework...

put together the 3-song single, and call it a "teaser" to the full-length

use it as a demo to book shows, and sell as many copies as you can while the full-length is being produced. put a little insert or something inside the single/demo/EP/whatever you want to call it telling the buyer to keep their eyes open for the full-length

now you can record the rest of the album, including those 3 tracks, and sell it. you could even still offer the single for less $$ while you're at it. the more options the consumer has, the more product you're likely to sell.

Thanks,

I appreciate the replies, the ideas and the concerns. I will test the market and see how well a single will do-perhaps with some remixes on it.

specs

That's a good question.I decided not to wait until I have a complete CD before trying to do something with one song.As long as you are setup for distribution I don't see why singles aren't good.

Here's a question.I usually buy singles from itunes which I run on a PC, when I want a song.If I want to sell a song on itunes I have to have a Mac,and even then it's not that simple.Naturally somebody with itunes will sell you a book for $20 telling you how to do it.I think not.I'm aware of soundclick but what else is out there to sell?

Back