Single Cut PRS or Les Paul Custom

HI-Z

I've been starting to look into some les pauls and i played the Class Five but that was out of my price range so i looked into the custom. I like it very much but the salesperson told me that the PRS single cut is a better value. Im not sure and i havent played the PRS single yet. I've only played the double.
Thanks.

Generic answer ahead:
Depends on what you want.

One definite difference between the two is the tonality due to the different scale lengths. The Les Paul has a scale of 24.75" giving it a slightly warmer tone where the PRS has a scale of 25". For comparison, a Fender has a even brighter tonality with a scale of 25.5". Of course tone is also affected by wood, pickups, etc. This scale length difference also affects sustain, playability, and feel.

"Better Value?" I dunno. I've heard the same shit recently at a local shop. Let's see:

I can get a LP Studio for under $1k
I can get a comparable PRS such as a CE24 for $1.5k
I can get a LP Custom for around $2.3k and up
I can get other PRS's for that price and up

I'm not too sure what you would call the best value there depending on hardware, appearance, tone, playability, etc.

In fact, I was looking at a Studio and the shop mentioned looking into a PRS. Seems that the PRS is a better value than both a more expensive LP and a less expensive LP. (Sounds more like the PRS has a better profit margin). ;)

Play them both. With and without an amp. Determine what you prefer based on sound, playability, appearance, etc. Both the LPs and the PRS's are great guitars.

Matt

PRS is in fashion now. Many players dub it the be all end all guitar. I think that's bullshit. Want value for money ? DO NOT buy a prs or a gibson, both are over-prized cuz they can... I'm lookin into carvin and such ... nice companies that aren't hyped up so what you pay is alittle more what you get... understand? no? i can't blame ya... what i'm trying to say is since every kid wants a prs and rectifier those two have gone sky high in price...

Guhlenn

I was over my friends house playing his PRS. He has a Crate head going through a Fender cab. Amazing sound! Wouldn't spend the money on a PRS, but it did sound amazing. I use fender strat's.

HI-Z so guhlenn what kind of guitar do u recommend or wat do u use?

Sit and play, dont look at the headstock. Every guy is going to have a personal preference. The thread about why did you pick your main guitar is a great example. I read guitars in that list that went from $150 to $2500. I think Guhlenns whole point is an excellent one..... play the guitar that plays best with you. I have a couple of no name "copy" guitars that I love the b'jesus out of. Sometimes mediocre companies can make a great guitar, just as many great companies can make mediocre ones.

And who knows what the future value brings now that I think of it. 20 years ago you would be laughed at for owning a Hondo or a Kay... today they are collectible!

Mister High Impedance,
Guhlenn did mention that he recommends looking into a Carvin.

Regardless,
As much as I often agree with Guhlenn, I wouldn't go so far as to not recommend a PRS or LP. If you have the cash, go for it.

Also, it is hard to find a comparable guitar with a mahogany body and a 24.75" or 25" scale. Many less expensive alternate guitars are made with alder bodies with a 25.5" scale. That is not to say such guitars are cheap, it is only to say such a guitar will not give a comparable tone.

Furthermore, both LP's and PRS's keep their value very well. Which is a safer investment than speculating on a Hondo.

In sum, yes there are good cheaper guitars. But the guy wanted a comparison between a LP and a PRS, which are both excellent guitars. These guitars amount to much more than just a name.

Do not get me wrong if cash fell outa the sky on my head i would rush to my guitarshop and buy a dshitload of PRS's. I love 'm pthey play GREAT, bvut they are over priced... like gibsons... i own a gibson and like it but got it second hand at a great price (400 dollar)...

So to stay on topic;if i have to choose i would go for the PRS. Better neck and sweeter playability

Guhlenn

I'm quite fond of G&L. Not sure how people feel about these guitars but I think they are high quality crafted guitars that play and sound great.

I think the consensus is that both are great guitars. At this point it would probably be best to play a few before making a decision.

Matty

guhlenn said:
Do not get me wrong if cash fell outa the sky on my head i would rush to my guitarshop and buy a dshitload of PRS's. I love 'm pthey play GREAT, bvut they are over priced... like gibsons... i own a gibson and like it but got it second hand at a great price (400 dollar)...

So to stay on topic;if i have to choose i would go for the PRS. Better neck and sweeter playability

Guhlenn

Yeah. They're both about the same. This thread is interesting because I'm currently in the market for one of the two. I love the wide-thin PRS neck and the tone. Especially becuase I'm used to shred-style necks. However, I'm interested in the LP for more variety in my axes. My vote goes for the LP Studio in part because it has the best price/performance. $800 for a brand new LP ain't that bad. Especially when the next step is 2x as much.

I also haven't ruled out used LP's, but I'm only finding decent ones for $6-700.

matty_boy said:
I think the consensus is that both are great guitars. At this point it would probably be best to play a few before making a decision.

Matty

Exactly.

ey lopp,

good to hear someone agrees with me some of the time.. :D

anyway, i played a prs mccarthy when i bought my mesa .22 studio and i must say, it does sound definately different from a les paul... The paul is more of a rock guitar, both in feel and in sound. I thought the PRS had a less crunchy, more balanced tone... better for leads and overall stuff... but they are TOO expensive now.. thank you overrated nu-metal bands... (or where they always that expensive?)

MAke sense?

Guhlenn;)

I feel like they are both overpriced too.

However, given the choice between them I would go for a PRS without a second thought, based on the ones I've played. I make no secret that I'm anti-Gibson. I really feel their best years are behind them. Their QC is inconsistant, as is their workmanship. PRS, on the other hand, is making some great, consistant axes.

Have you considered a Heritage? I would.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Anyone know the prices of the Heritage line? The H-157 looks promising as a Gibson alternate. However, I don't know if they can match the price of a good LP Studio.

The Les Paul is a very midrange oriented instrument, capable of great sustain and a "compressed" quality because of the weight and mass of the wood, pickups, etc. It imposes that "signature" sound on you and that can be looked at as a good thing or a bad thing. Onstage it doesn't cut through when it has to compete with other midrange or lush arrangements. Not a versatile instrument but what it does well, it really does well. Too expensive but if you want fat tone, it will deliver.

I love the PRS necks, looks, and attention to detail but I don't think they have a strong sonic identity and I don't like that. I've wanted to like them because of their versatility but I think they sound too thin unless you are using high-gain amplification at loud volumes. I haven't played every model so maybe I shouldn't comment. I really don't want to look at them anymore because of the price tag. I don't want to look at another $2000-3000 guitar in case I may like it.

Thanks for the heads up on Heritage. I know about their history but I wasn't aware there was a dealer nearby.

Back