Singing Technique

mocharock

What is the best way to learn how NOT to sing from the throat? I have had the bad habbit for so long that I have been killing my throat after a long recording session with out getting any good tracks. NO I have not been taking lessions from Monty!

mocharock;

Laying down makes sense, but what is up with the nasal?

YOU KNOW I DO NOT EVEN KNOW HOW TO RESPOND.

I'm here in complete frustration, this happens all of the time.

Someone says lay on your back or some kind of silly belief and right away it sounds like a perfectly great Idea.

Lay on your back, drink honey, scream all day long, jerk off 5 times a day, warm up at least 5 hours before a concert, bla, bla, bla.....

All advice that leads to path of complete ignorance, but hey what do I know.

10 years of scales, 10 years of correcting every little flaw, 10 years of all that cash, 10 year of breathing control, 10 years of vocal placement, 10 years of diaphragm exercises, 10 years of style development, 10 years of unlearning bad habits, 10 years of rebuilding good habits, 10 years, 10 years, 10 years !!!!!!!!

OK, FORGET ALL OF MY ADVICE !

GO GET LESSONS AND SEE THE WORLD OF SINGING AS IT REALLY IS !

Sean

PS.

Sorry for the rant, but everyone has bad uniformed advice on how to lose weight, save money, own a business, eating & sleeping disorders, mental health, and how to sing.

It wouldn't bother me so much if everyone were not to swallow it hook line and sinker.
Everyone does of course because it always is some kind of quick fix.

Singing can not be learned over night.

AND GUESS WHAT, almost everyone can get some kind of voice improvement from Lessons, but that is not the answer that anyone wants to hear, they would rather take some kind of magic advice or worse, just assume they will never be able to sing better and hope that it is good enough.

Listen to Fuzz.... he knows what he's talking about. And, no, I'm NOT being sarcastic.

I used to be an awful singer. I've taken lessons and learned proper technique for the last five years, and the difference is incredible. Not only that, proper technique will ensure the longevity of your voice, and the ability to sing even when you are sick, tired, sore throat, allergies, etc.

That said, it is important to get to know your voice, and use it to its best ability. Rod Stewart will never sound like Pavarotti, Rob Zombie will never sound like Michael Jackson, and I will never sound like Brian Johnson. A Fender Strat does not sound like a Les Paul. A Steinway does not sound like a Hammond B3. You get the idea. Your voice is yours. All the trying in the world will not change it unless the character you are after is not already there in some way.

Chris

Chris Tondreau said:
Listen to Fuzz.... he knows what he's talking about. And, no, I'm NOT being sarcastic.

That said, it is important to get to know your voice, and use it to its best ability. Rod Stewart will never sound like Pavarotti, Rob Zombie will never sound like Michael Jackson, and I will never sound like Brian Johnson. A Fender Strat does not sound like a Les Paul. A Steinway does not sound like a Hammond B3. You get the idea. Your voice is yours. All the trying in the world will not change it unless the character you are after is not already there in some way.

That's genius, Chris !!
Five stars for you & Fuzz !!! Yeah, that's an answer for SO MANY QUESTION !!! I couldn't even sing like my dad (Steven Tyler of Aerosmith). But I should have known, that I "can" sing like.... like.... myself... (at least if we can call it sing :D ). Good point !!!

Thanks! :D I think the sooner people realize that, the sooner they will be able to find their own place in terms of singing, and be comfortable as a musician.

Chris

Can we learn singing online ?
Sounds great & possible. Come on Fuzz, tell us your first practical lesson :) Where do we start ?

Mocha, there's a corellation between singers who have healthy vocal habits when they sing and when they speak.
Singers actually damage their voices more often from improper speaking than singing.
So...

WHEN (not if!) you take some lessons from a (hopefully) competent instructor, make sure they evaluate your speaking voice, not just the "singing" one.

Another factor is that your voice even after it gets better on track, may be of the "lyric" (melodic) type.
If it's possible to produce better musical arrangements for your voice, that'll cut down on the impulse to strain your voice.
You wouldn't expect Art Garfunkel to sing hard R&R-right? :)

Chris

WHEN (not if!) you take some lessons from a (hopefully) competent instructor, make sure they evaluate your speaking voice, not just the "singing" one.

This I have not heard of, but it does make perfect sense in my mind.

Just so I'm not jumping to a conclusion,

what do singing coaches listen for in a speaking voice ?

Sean

A good coach should listen to;

1) Are you speaking/singing in the proper range?
Many tenors try to be baritones & vice versa.

2) Tone of the voice. Is it too breathy? Gravelly? Nasal? (etc.)

Chris

Go out and buy the book Set Your Voice Free by Roger Love. It will pretty much teach you how your vocal chords work so that when you hear someone saying to lay down on the ground, you know exactly why that helps, btw you can get the same results with good posture. It comes with a cd full of vocal exercises and examples and stuff and if you do get the book heres a tip, really dicepline yourself and do the exercises, they help out a lot (some of them almost instantly). I don't know what I would have done without that book.

Modus

what do singing coaches listen for in a speaking voice ?

what Chessparov said and also they are looking at your posture and the position of your larynx and what muscles you are unnecessarily using when you speak.

CHESSPARVO;

Not to doubt you but, my speaking voice is low yet I'm a very high tenor.

Although it is entirely possible that my coach did evaluate my speaking voice, he never made any mention to me about it in all the conversations we had over the years about training new students.

MODUS;

Go out and buy the book Set Your Voice Free by Roger Love. It will pretty much teach you how your vocal chords work so that when you hear someone saying to lay down on the ground, you know exactly why that helps, btw you can get the same results with good posture.

I'm sure there is some good information in a book as what is happening with your voice while your singing. Kind of a biology lesson of the throat if you will, but in place of someone who can hear your voice and correct placement and I guess posture, I do not see a book as anything but a tool to ruin your voice indefinitely.

Lying on your back, ok now I see what we are getting at, self diagnostics is a bad idea though.
From lesson one, I was told to stand in front of the piano, slightly cock my head up, get my mouth open as wide as possible, and keep my voice nasal.

It comes with a cd full of vocal exercises and examples and stuff and if you do get the book heres a tip, really dicepline yourself and do the exercises, they help out a lot (some of them almost instantly).

Yes but if your singing all of the time wrong, bye, bye vox.
How do you know your doing it right ?

BTW- One thing that is never discussed, before lessons my voice was pretty good, always in key, decent range, but I burnt out with in an hour or so. I took lessons for years and years before I got any results of any kind. As a matter of fact, I found a bad FLAW in my singing coach's teachings and in my own responsibility one must take for one's own voice.

One time I wanted to enter a singing contest (bad Idea). So I went to a friend who had a muti- track and would record me.

The sound of my voice was horrible, very, very nasal. YUK.

My next lesson I went back furious. I told him that I was very unhappy with what I had heard.
That it's been five years and all I have to show for these lessons is someone that sounds like they have an awful cold.

He then said something very unexpected, "ok, for now on, pull your voice back in to your throat."

"Back In my throat," I said, "for the last five years you have me singing one way and now all of a sudden you want me to go back to singing the way I was before lessons ?"

"What have I said to you over the years, Sean ?" he questioned, " Trust MY ears, not yours."

From that lesson on, a new world opened up.
From that lesson on, I gained a whole new octave.
From that lesson on, almost all my learning was over.
From that lesson on, I just went to lessons to simply keep in check.
From that lesson on, I could break all the rules of singing and still sing good.
From that lesson on, I could sing up to and past four hours.
From that lesson on, I was a trained singer, never perfect, but very advanced.

Sean

Im not saying that a book can replace lessons at all, but it worked well for me.
I got rid of the nasal sound ( i had that really bad) becuase it has examples of what is right and wrong on the cd, also you can tell if you pinch your nose and the tone doesn't change. And the whole pulling your voice back in your throat thing was covered in one of the first chapters! Also he gives you excercises to strengthen those muscles. Like I said, a vocal coach is probably the best option, but this book helped me out tremendosly, its definatly worth the read even if you are already taking lessons.

Modus
Here is the website for more info.Roger Love

Sean, methinks you may really be a dramatic tenor.
In layman's terms, a dramatic tenor is someone who is a baritone with tenor high notes.
Pop examples would be Levi Stubbs, Tom Jones, Elvis, etc.

A top notch classical instructor would try to do a Vulcan Mind Meld :) of your speaking and (present) voice to make it even fuller,
assuming this is the case.

Chris

Bon Scott layed on his back, and look where it got him:D

Lessons are great, Ive taken them and I still can't sing. I was told by both my guitar teacher and vocal coach that live performers should practice standing up or in whatever position you would normally sing in during a live performance.

I have a problem with my Uvula..it swelled up from a allergic reaction and then I was constantly trying to swollow it because it was partially obstructing my throat. Now it permanently elongated and my Doc is talking about removing it. I can't sing anymore...

SoMm

Back