Simple test: Condenser vs. Dynamic

lifelyrics

Training wheels on
Hi all,

There seems to be much discussion about this, so I decided to do a little test. Mind you, this is on bargain basement products, but you can get an idea of the difference if you listen to the linked clips.

Hubby brought home a MXL MARK condenser mic they use at his work, to compare with the Sennheiser E835 I have been using for many years for the basic stuff we've done.

So, we conducted the test with a song my son’s friend, Sabrina, wrote and sang for their high school graduation. She was at our house rehearsing with Lukas, and agreed to help us out with the test.

We used the TASCAM DP004, at the same input setting for each sample. I know, it's basic, way simple stuff, but I think there are a lot of people out there who are looking for basic, entry level info and you can't test-drive microphones.

My husband thought the results were convincing enough that he let me purchase an entry level condenser mic for my little recording projects! (MXL V63M)

Just click on the first two “songs” in this link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=960087

What do you think?

I didn't listen, but I will tell you this:
The V63M has three layers of mesh in the headbasket.
With so many layer, the sound is affected.
If he or you are so inclined, with a little patience and a couple of simple tools, such as a very small jewelers flathead screwdriver and needlenose pliers, the inner mesh can be pulled out. The mic sounds SO much clearer without that mesh.

Just know, it is put there to protect the diaphragm, so....you have to make sure to protect it by using a pop-filter.

Here's a before and after picture of the mod:

V63M%20Grill_Pre-Post.JPG

In any case, congratulations on the new mic......enjoy!

Aw, Thanks for that!

That is so cool that you offered your advice. That sort of stuff is right up my hubby's alley. I will be sure to share this with him. We should be receiving the new equip, including the pop filter, some time this week.

The condenser delivers a crisper sound.

The test is a bit tricky in that the levels of the two clips are different. Condensers typically have greater sensitivity than dynamics, so you would need to allow for that as a matter of course.

I noticed a bit of popping on the condenser test. I didn't notice so much on the other. However, that's down to mike technique rather than the mike itself. Nevertheless, some mikes are more susceptible to popping than others, and you need to make allowances.

Thanks, and a bit more about the conditions...

The condenser delivers a crisper sound.

The test is a bit tricky in that the levels of the two clips are different.

That was proof in point that condensers (even the cheap ones) pull more power for the punch. Part of the reason for the test was that in previous recordings with the Senn., once I got SONAR, and imported from my DP004, I ended up with these teeny tiny wav files. I needed to prove whether using a condenser mic would make "that much" difference (enough for hubby to spend more money!)
Condensers typically have greater sensitivity than dynamics, so you would need to allow for that as a matter of course.

I noticed a bit of popping on the condenser test.
I would attribute it to the fact that we actually recorded 2 tracks @ same time, using the mic as main input, but also, using the condenser mics (on the DP) to record my son's guitar accompaniment, and obviously, her voice, since it was live. It was cool (for me - not offered on the clips) to hear the difference between just the mic recordings, vs. mic/whole room condenser mics with it. I will be giving Sabrina a copy of the recording with both tracks, mixed together for her keepsake. If you listen closely, you can (faintly) hear what Lukas is doing on the guitar. I'm hoping someone got a video, or recording of their actual performance at graduation - in the auditorium, because it came out really nice. Lukas used my Roland keyboard amp (mic'd) with his acoustic guitar on stage, and she sang. Very cool.
I didn't notice so much on the other.
because the dynamic mic does not pick up nearly as much of a "room" or what's going on inside the room, as a condenser mic, no matter how cheap or expensive - it is the nature of the guts. I think it's so cool to have a real sample of the difference, because it's so easy to hear the difference!!
However, that's down to mike technique rather than the mike itself. Nevertheless, some mikes are more susceptible to popping than others, and you need to make allowances.
I will definitely keep that in mind, when I start working with my new stuff this week. Thanks so much for your feedback. I LOVE feedback!!

Back