Simple questions on pre to SBLive and Balanced cables

KevinTran

I just got a DMP3 and would like to see if it greatly improves the signal over the pres in my mixer. My question revolves around sending the signals to my SB Live soundcard.

1. Should I send my OUTs from the DMP3 to the mixer, or directly to the soundcard?

2. Should I use balanced cables for the OUTs?

3. Since I have the main OUTs from my mixer going into the LINE IN of my soundcard (with a stereo Y adapter for RCA), do I need to constantly switch out those cables and replace with the cables from the DMP3?

4. Do soundcards even accept Balanced signals?

kt

Soundcards accept balanced signals. Unfortunately, you don't have one. Soundblasters are not a pro audio card and the line inputs are unbalanced -10 on a stereo mini (3.5mm) plug. Nasty little thing. You want to send the preamp directly to the card. You do NOT want to send it to the mixer as that will just add noise.

Track Rat said:
Soundcards accept balanced signals. Unfortunately, you don't have one. Soundblasters are not a pro audio card and the line inputs are unbalanced -10 on a stereo mini (3.5mm) plug. Nasty little thing. You want to send the preamp directly to the card. You do NOT want to send it to the mixer as that will just add noise.

Thanks Rat

you answered all my questions. cool.

kt

KT,
Track Rat is right in his recommendation. I'm not sure if this is relevant to you, but since the DMP3 only has outs (no inserts or a second output to send to the mixer for monitoring), you may have to do something to allow you to monitor the signal while you're recording. I can monitor through my Echo Layla24 soundcard, but the levels are never high enough for me so I send my monitor mix (not the direct signal) to my Mackie mixer.

For the DMP3, you'll need to get a splitter from Radio Shack or something that turns a single balanced output into to outputs... male 1/4 inch to two female 1/4 inch. This way, you can send the direct signal to the soundcard and send the signal simultaneously to the mixer to monitor with headphones. Hope this helps.

Es.

Back