simple question

Big Aggy

I'm recording vocals and one, possibly two acoustic guitar tracks. I have a m audio firewire 410, cascade m20, sm58, and an sm86 and am using cool edit pro. I'm obviously recording the vocals through the m20, which sounds decent with enough gain, but the problem I have is what to record the guitar tracks with. Should I use the 58 and take off the grille, is the difference between a 58 without a grille, so big of a difference from an sm57 that I should go and buy one? If all else fails how would the m20 hold up to recording an acoustic guitar?

Technically the specs of the 57 & 58 are pretty darn close. Just pop the windscreen off and hop to it. Also try using your cascade in front of the body hole and the 58 around the neck if you feel so inclined ;) ....

wow yeah I never really get to use both channels at the same time, I'm never thinking about the ambient sound. Thanks for the tip.

Like he said, experiment. Also, (if you have the time) try putting the 58 really close to the body and the cascade where the frets start. Mess around, see if you find a sound you like.

Back