simple (?) chord progression loop

Pickngrin

Hi folks-
I'm new to the digital recording thing... I want to play around by recording myself doing a chord progression on acoustic guitar, then I want to simply loop this over and over so I can record a lead on top of this... I've got Cakewalk Guitar Studio... I've played with this just a bit and found it frustrating to get the beginning and ending time markers right... any suggestions? also, figure there is a slight lag from the point of clicking the "record" button and the beginning of the chord sequence...

thanks

Hi Pickingrin - once you've recorded your loop you must edit it to length either in the internal editor or externally in SForge. This will consist of cutting off the silence at the front and end. Then you must work out the exact tempo that the loop is at - you can do this with a programme called Beatcalc (search for it -it's free) It will then tell you that your 4 bar loop is at 132.5 BPM or whatever. Then set you Cakewalk tempo to 135.5, set the snap to bars and you can copy and paste the loop over and over etc.

cheers
John :D

ok...

Thanks, John! I did as you suggested (using BeatCalc... which yielded 26.2 BPM - hmm). The problem I'm having now is that the wav is not looping smoothly (i.e., it is a choppy repeat after a 4 bar chord progression). I'm not sure if I'm just not editing the wav effectively or if I'm not utilizing the "snap to" feature in Cakewalk GS correctly (never tried it before now).
When editing the wav, I'm finding it difficult to ascertain how much to cut from the end (not too much, not too little)...
thanks again

Pickngrin - if it came out as 29bpm it's probably only 1 or 2 bars long - The snap feature is down on the lower right of the screen - select snap to bar. Once you've pasted a few loops, play it and adjust the tempo till it sound correct.

Cheers :cool:

Back