Silverface Twins years and prices?

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
I'm selling some gear (for the first time ever...downsizing and upgrading). I really want a silver face 70s Twin. What years were the best and what are good prices. In LA there's a 75 for $600, and one the guy says is 70s for $800.

Generally speaking, the most desirable Fender models in that era (by gear enthusiasts) had the AB763 point-to-point wiring. Some early silverface series in '68/'69 had it because they used up the old blackface series parts until they were gone. I've played through '70 silverface super reverbs and twins that sounded fantastic.

Congratulations on your upcoming purchase!

Thanks. I figured earlier is better with the silverfaces. I've played through some mid-70s and they sound pretty damn cool too. So I'd like a 68-70, but if I can find a smoking deal on a nice 75 or so I think I'll grab it. Thanks for the insight.

Sweet. I'm looking forward to the pics of it.

Well, I'm heading out tonight to check it out...as long as the guy who is coming to buy one of my other amp shows up this afternoon. It's a '72 (first year with the master volume from what I can figure). For the price I'm not too concerned about it being original or collectable...if it sounds good I'm going to grab it. There's just something about loud cleans that I just love!

I'll post pics if I get it.

I got the 1975 with vintage 30's. Strange speaker choice, but it sounds really good! It was just gone over and recapped, retubed, and the speakers are brand new. The only issue is the vibrato clicks when it's turned on...not a big deal, I found out how to fix that too. In an A/B/C test with a '65 RI, the '75, and an '00 pro tube series twin, the '75 blew them both away. Super punchy clear cleans...now I just have to play around with it to find the sweet spots.

photo 5.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

oh, the first pictures are of the speakers that came out of the amp before the v30's were added. I have no idea what they are because there are no markings on them.

Celestion is something unusual for a Fender for sure. That's a fine looking amp! Also cool is the upper horizontal line of the "T" not showing making it say "I win." :) Looks like previous owner put JJ's in there, right?

haha, the "T" shows in real life!

yeah the tubes were just changed a few weeks ago. I asked and he didn't have the old ones (probably not the original anyway)...speakers are weird but sound awesome.

Also the original speakers are with it Utah's...which don't have a great reputation anyway. I'm just going to role with it as is for now!

I have a Sliver face from the same era with the JBL speakers in it. They sound awesome.

Before that I was using my brother's silver face and it have the speakers like you show as the originals. They were good as I remember.

I don't see V30s as a good pairing for the Silverface twin. Those are more of a Marshall sound.

Last edited:
Back