silly-ass ?? about efx + ver. 1.1

geekgurl

Hi all:

That's right, I have an oooolllld version of Cool Edit ... my CD says it's CoolEdit SE Version 1.1.

My question is, does anyone know if I can use 3d-party plugins, preferably real-time, with this version? I know ver. 2.0 includes plugins and that makes it different from previous CEP versions, but I'm wondering if that also means it's the only CEP version that lets users have plugins at all?

Thanks,

gg

1.2 lets you use plugins, so I would guess that 1.1 does as well, with a few more bugs than 1.2 has. (I haven't found any bugs in 1.2 yet.) It's just a guess though. Have you tried loading a plugin into 1.1?

Hi dobro, no, I haven't tried. I don't have any plugins and wasn't going to buy any if I didn't know whether they'd work or not ... I may be switching software to a format that doesn't use DirectX in order to upgrade. Now that I'm learning more (according to the CEP forum on syntrillium's site) you can't use real-time efx in 1.1. I don't have my receipt for CEP since it was an OEM inclusion with my sound card so I may not get a price break to upgrade. And if I don't, I figure, may as well shop around ... hence I didn't want to commit to DirectX. So I guess after I posted this, I found my answer!

Thanks for your input. You can't run REAL-TIME plugs in 1.2 by any chance, can you?

Okay, here's the answer to *all* your questions. :D The answer has a microcosmic aspect and a macrocosmic aspect.

Here's the microcosmic aspect: again, I'm basing my comments on my knowledge of 1.2, and think that 1.1 will be virtually the same. 1.2 runs *some* effects in real time, and with other effects (such as reverb), you have to sit and wait for it to process the file so you can listen to it. Not only that, but you can only listen to the effect one track at a time, and you then have to bung the effected track back into Multitrack View in order to hear what it sounds like with the other tracks in the mix. Slow and inconvenient.

Here's the macrocosmic aspect: the reason nobody but me's replied to your original post is because 1.1 is such old news. Nobody knows if 1.1 can run some plugs in real time because nobody's done that or tried that in years. The indication? Get some contemporary software with contemporary support. Computer stuff is obsolete about 3-4 years after it's released. The only reason that Windows 98 and 95 is still on the go is because so many people still own it. :)

Hi Dobro,

I like your micro/macro worldviews. :D

Let me ask you this, then ... Is upgrading to 2.0 worth it ... are the included plugins decent (thinking specifically EQ, reverb, and compressor)? Can I patch the same plugin -- say reverb -- on different tracks, each with their own settings?

I'm not a MIDI person, not a big effects person either. I go very organic in terms of sound, so I'm looking for a program that does the basics but does 'em well.

Have you heard the plugs in CEP compared to those in, say, Sonar, Sound Forge, or even Pro Tools?

Yes, I know PT has to have its own hardware, but I may be able to buy a 001 Factory used for a pretty good deal. If I'm going to be spending more than $500 on software (the multitracker plus decent plugins if 3d-party's the only way to get decent ones), I'm seriously not talking about that much extra to get this one 001/Factory unit I can buy used.

I'm sorry if I'm pressing on ya too much for my decision, Dobro. I just welcome any comparative input if you have experience with any of the other stuff.

Well, strangely, I wouldn't recommend 2.0 right now, because although it's a really good program (I want it eventually), it's new and kinda buggy it seems. I'm waiting for 2.1, by which time they'll have got the bugs worked out.

Not only that, but unless I'm mistaken, you can't buy 1.2 anymore either, which is a pity because it's a lovely, useful, stable program.

As for plugins, yeah they're useful, but these multitrack programs often have really respectable effects built into them. Cool Edit's EQ and reverb are respectable, for instance, and its compressor works for small stuff. And it can handle DirectX plugins as well, but the downside is that 1.2 doesn't run all effects in real time, which is a pain.

So, the conclusion? Well, if you've got $500 to spend on software, maybe you should shop around for a multitracker/editor that's established and stable, and which has decent effects built in. The only one I've used is Cool, so I can't recommend any others, but the major ones are a pretty good bet. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Back