Silent computer cases for building a quiet PC: sources, recommendations?

Cliff K

Hi folks,
I've decided that I really need to get a computer for my ghetto home studio (mostly for midi sequencing and mixing to CD, but who knows what else once I get it...probably at least for using softsynths and virtual outboard gear). After reading posts here I think I'd like to go ahead and build a very basic but good PC myself. I've never done this, but it seems doable, and I'd like to get the knowledge about my system and the know-how to tweak it and upgrade it that I think will come from the experience of building my own, plus I'm on a low budget, so a Mac is out (we have a G3 already as our family computer, and I'm not totally impressed by the quality and reliability of it, although I know some folks love them), and I probably don't want some of the features and hardware that come with a lot of pre-built PCs.
I'm not totally clear on all of the boards and component that I'll use (I need to do more reading), but I thought that I'd start with the case and the power supply. One thing that I want for sure is to build as quiet a computer as I can...I hear that the P4 is the most quiet processor. I've seen the DAW Box and the Carillon sites, and I'd like to get a silent case like they use (I'm thinking a tower, but I already have a deep rack, so a rack mount case might be okay). I can't find any sources on-line that sell cases like these that are ideal for a DAW. Does anyone know of a good source, or what is the best way to build a very quiet system? Also, is it alright to piece a system togther like this, getting a case and power supply first, and then adding to it, or is there a good reason for not doing that (waiting and getting the various parts at the same time)?
This board is an excellent resource for learning about this stuff; thanks for all the energy and time you folks put into it. I appreciete the help.

Cheers,
Cliff

Thanks a lot LooneyTunez!
that's the stuff I need, I think...kind of pricey but it looks good. Anyone used the Quiet PC stuff?

Also pick up the latest Maximum PC magazine. I just got mine in the mail, it may not be in stores yet. It has some tips on upgrades for the "Quiet PC"

I put Panaflo cooling fans in all my client machines. Very quiet, uses a sealed hydraulic bearing. Long life, too.

I'd recommend the Zalman fans. I have one of the 'flower' style ones on my P4 and it is very quiet and keeps my cpu plenty cool. Also the Antec True380 PSUs are very good and very quiet. The loudest thing in my PC is the hard disk - a Seagate Barracuda - and its power dissipation is too high for those silent drive enclosures, so try finding one that runs cool enough. Also, video cards often have fans these days, so keep that in mind.

Go to Toms Hardware and find the research they did on power supply units. It is very eye-opening. I would do this before you purchase one!

Jeff

Back