Silent A/C cooling, fans

audio_leak

hey everyone

i was wondering if anyone new of a fan or a portable A/C that was relativly silent to run?
after doing all my acoustic treatments it gets so hot in my studio!!
i doubt any of my clients who arent friends are going to want to pay me to sit in this hot box! so what can i do??

i do have a window thats behind a type of hanging panel that i would be able to hang the flue (sp?) out of.

i would prefer something small, portable, and if possible cheap to run.

it doesnt have to keep the room like an ice box, but i do want to be able to make the room a little bit cooler in the hotter months.

also it doesnt have to be COMPLETLY silent as im only going to run it, a few hours before clients come in, and when ever the artists take a break in the lounge or kitchen area. it wont be running during recording.

sorry if thats a bit all over the place

so to put it simple:

i need a fairly silent/quite Air-con or cooling unit. that doesnt need to be overly powerful but still will cool down my studio, and at least make it more bearable when doing multiple vocal takes for a few hours at a time.

like to keep it under $500 too if possible

any suggestions??

I'm sorry but I do not know of anything in your price range. In the summer I use traditional wall AC units and chill the studio then shut them down while I work. By the time it gets too hot, I'm ready for a break or I'll work on something that doesn't need quiet while the space cools back down.

Traditionally in commercial studios the way air handling is done is the AC units are remotely installed using oversized duct work and oversized fans that are speed reduced. This results in sufficient air volume and low velocity air flow. This way you get enough cooling without the noise you get with loud fans and constricted air ducts. I've also used insulated duct work. They make a type of duct insulation that is basically rigid fiberglass with a black coating that prevents the fibers from dislodging and becoming part of the air flow.

http://www.mehvac.com/Products/Category.asp?ProductCategoryID=24
These don't even come close to your price but the info may help someone else in the same situation. They are dead silent when in use. I have a small apartment attached to my house and use two of these to heat and cool the space. When I am in there I can never tell when they turn on or off.

This is exactly what I put in my studio, when they are on low speed silent mode you can not hear them at all, I researched different brands and Mitsubishi had the lowest dB readings.

The only down side is that they don't blow in fresh air only circulate, I get by this by leaving the doors open (to the rest of the building) during breaks, the air con soon cools it down again. You can see then on my site in the recording room photos.

Cheers Alan

The mini split system is exactly what I am getting come next year. Cost is roughly about $1500-1700 if you install it yourself (mitsubishi), should not be much more for an AC guy to come out, as they are very easy to install. It will replace my window unit (which I can actually run during tracking because of my so nice booth that I am so proud of) but will be much more efficient and quieter all at the same time. Good luck dud- I felt your pain earlier this year when I had nothing!

thanks guys, ill favourite this and when i got some spare money for the AC ill come back for the info. The hot months are nearly over here so i might not need it for the next year or so hopefully! :)

everybody feel free to keep posting any useful links or info you have to silent ventilation, fans, cooling, AC. as im sure many people will find it useful along with myself.

thanks again

Back