signs of a blown speaker?

mitosis

So I was recording and I had a MXl V63m close to me at my desk. The preamp was turned pretty high. I had my speakers muted on the my recording software. By mistake, I unmuted the speakers and after a few seconds I got bad feedback, not loud but just a really high frequency. I quickly muted the speakers and then tried to play something back on them. The right one did not play at all. It started to work again after I turned the volume control knob several times up and down.

Now it makes static noises during playback. Please tell me its not blown.

They weren't real monitors but just nice bookshelf speakers. I have money to buy a crappy pair of studio monitors but I'd really lke to spend my money on something else.

Thanks in advance.

Switch the hookups on your speakers around; wire the left channel to the right speaker and vice versa. If the static moves with the speaker, spme part of the speaker is blown.

G.

yeah, but some might say:

if you can make your mixes sound good on blown speakers it should sound GREAT anywhere else.
:p

most blown speakers are from an overextension and the coil parellelism gets messed up. The coil is no longer perfectly-centered to the magnet.
As the coil moves it actually "rubs" the magnet making the scratchy/blown sound.
This is one common blown speaker explanation...

that doesn't really help you at all.

You can try to have it fixed....but stuff is so cheap these days.
I bought some used & working JBL Control 5's ($500-600 new) for $125 pair, for example. Also a mint used BW303 for $150pair...real nice.

Tough decision to repair these days, especially as you said they weren't hi-end Hifi speakers?

How much does it cost to fix??? IF under a $100 yeah that'd be cheaper.

First he'd need to determine which speaker element is blown. Seeing as how feedback was the cause, it could have easily blown either the woof, the tweet, or both.

One he knows which one it is, it's kist a matter of replacing that speaker element. Being bookshelves, the woofers are probably just 6" or less drivers with medium-duty magnets, which should be pretty inexpensive to replace. Same thing for a matching dome tweeter. It shouldn't take much resarch to determine the supplier for that driver. Heck, I'd give it even odds that they'd be cheap enough to replace the drivers in both bixes at the same time to ensure a good match and still have enough money left over from your $100 for a nice BYOB steak dinner for two.

G.

It'd probably be cheaper and easier to fix the blown one.

Thats what I would do also. Contact the manufacture, they should be able to help. I did the same thing to mine except it was with some serious experienting with a modular synth, the result? White smoke from my tweaters. I sent them back to manufacture and they replaced the tweaters (with no questions asked thank God)

Source of replacement speaker parts....

MCM Electronics has all kinds and sizes in stock. Depending on what you need, probably in the $10-$50 range. All you need is a credit card and a screwdriver. Way cheaper than new mon's

chazba

SouthSIDE Glen said:
First he'd need to determine which speaker element is blown. Seeing as how feedback was the cause, it could have easily blown either the woof, the tweet, or both.

G.

very important statement here! bumped it.

tweet, woof or both!

Misdiagnosing will burn the cash real fast.

Do you have a speaker repair place close to where you live? If it's a half-decent speaker, sometimes that's way cheaper than replacing it.

I had a pair of stereo speakers where one of them sounded "blown" ... it had kind of a static-y sound when certain bass frequencies were pushed thru it. I kept thinking I'd have to replace the speakers, but didn't want to spend the money to buy another decent pair. Plus, I liked this pair.

Finally it occurred to me to have it repaired. New woofer was about $35 + an hours worth of labor. Now it's good as new.

Back