Signal path for recording,mixdown, playback

Cudmasters Los

I have 6 outputs from the proteus 2000 sound module going to channels 3-8 on my mixer, vocals on 1&2. I then bus to the 8 subs, which go to my patch bay. I patch to my 2 Adats, worth 16 tracks to record. I playback to channels 9-24 on my mixer. I then compress thru the main insert point and record to the computer. I am using Soundblaster Live for my s/c, and I have Soundforge, Acid Pro 3, and Cakewalk 9.0 for programs. I then burn to cd, or record to Dat.

I just made a posting on here called Hsss, having a problem with hissing noise. Not because of the 2nd pass thru the mixer, but the first, and here I am going thru the mixer twice before recording to the computer, for my final mix down. I need some help on the best way to set this up for the cleanest sound, before I have clients come over to record. The last thing I need, is a bad name for noisy recordings, you know what I mean.

Could somebody help me with this; rerouting, buying something, removing something, etc? Thanks

Minimal signal chain is the only way to do it....
mic --> mic pre --> recorder

OR if the sampler's already outputting the appropriate level:
instrument/sampler --> recorder

if it isn't, then
instrument/sampler --> mic pre --> recorder

There should be nothing else in the chain unless needed for a given application... ie, you never leave your signal path set up like this for all tracking:
mic --> mic pre --> compressor --> EQ --> ???? --> recorder

Patchbays help because using normalled connections between the recorder and inputs you can insert or remove outboard as needed.....

But as you describe -- going thru 2 mixers - especially the er... budget ones... is really fucking with getting a clean signal.

Bruce

You may never get rid of all the hiss using a SoundBlaster. Lower noise is why people use recording sound cards.

I guess what I am saying is should I keep it the way it is, which I doubt, or;

(1) Record straight to adat, and patch the tracks to my computer?
(2) Keep it to the mixer and and mix down to adat. And then patch each track to computer.
(3) Put the proteus straight to the patch bay, and patch to the mixer, or the adat?
(4) Or what is the best way to do this?

I used to record straight to the adat, then to the mixer and to the compute, but since i got the patch bay i got confused

I need help!!!

Where in the chain do I use the compressor? Right now I am patching from the compressor straight to the insert point of the track or should I take the compressor to the patch bay and do it that way or???

All input would really help!!!

Thanks

Your mixer may be too hissy. Are you leaving all the channels up all the time? Make sure you mute any channels you aren't recording.

Try a more direct route and see if the hiss goes away. Then you'll know what the problem is.

Back