Signal interference due to weather/power lines?

Wack

Hi guys, I record in my room/home studio, which happens to be about 10-15 feet away from power lines above my house. When it storms, I seem to get an interference noise that I rarely ever hear, I've checked all cords and controls, unplugged everything and still get the weird signal.. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with this or just knows about it in-general, and if a storm would be something that would make this worsen. Just curious if anyone knows about this, gotta hate the total buzz during a scheduled recording sesh! Thanks holmes.

Yeah, if these are high voltage power lines, they create an electric field in the air. Frying your brain cells, causing interference on electrical equipment, etc. The better your equipment and cables are shielded, the less effect it will have.

Hi guys, I record in my room/home studio, which happens to be about 10-15 feet away from power lines above my house.

10-15 feet...?
You talking about the lines out on the poll by the road...or like the real high-power lines?

With typical poll lines, I don't think the lines would be an issue, but if it's one of the polls that also has 2-3 of those huge transformers...mmmm, that might cause some interference, but it would be constant, not just during a storm, IMO.

And yeah...when it's a bad storm...turn off you gear, and pull the plug(s) out of the wall...even if you have some sort of power strip/protection. Why tempt fate?

I use a pair of the 20amp Furman's...but I still unplug when there are sever storms...'cuz the Furman may protect your gear, but why fry the Furman doing it. :)

You're never meant to use high power electrical equipment in a storm. That includes your computer and amps. It's always good to have some kind of surge protection, but even that can't always help. If you're in an area that is constantly hit by storms, I can understand how it might be annoying, but when thousands of monies worth of gear is at stake, it's really not worth going against that advice.

Back