Signal Chain?

warlock110

Let say i just want to record vocal. And i have this:
An FX unit, a micpre and a compressor. How would i link them together? I was thinking of something like this, but i'm not sure if it's right.

MIC >>> Micpre >>> Compressor >>> FX unit >>> Soundcard?

unless you have some kind of killer efx unit, i'd leave it out of the chain and add any efx in your recording app. same goes for the compressor. if you really want to use that stuff in your signal chain, your example looks fine.

unless you have some kind of killer efx unit, i'd leave it out of the chain and add any efx in your recording app. same goes for the compressor. if you really want to use that stuff in your signal chain, your example looks fine.

The FX unit is relatively cheap (and i'm talking about super cheap bottom end stuff). but I've never been able to work well with software FX, I much rather turn knobs physically and hear the sound the instant i speak into the mic, it makes it much easier for me. Besides it's only a few effect that i wanted to use, nothing major. Same with the compressor.

The FX unit is relatively cheap (and i'm talking about super cheap bottom end stuff). but I've never been able to work well with software FX, I much rather turn knobs physically and hear the sound the instant i speak into the mic, it makes it much easier for me. Besides it's only a few effect that i wanted to use, nothing major. Same with the compressor.

i'm not completely against using crappy boxes, whatever they might be, if it fits the part. do what works for you. that's all that matters.

Can you not patch those units into your setup somehow for use at mixdown? You'd have a lot more control. I don't think compressing on the way in is a great idea, effect type processing while tracking is a worse idea (unless it's purely for monitoring purposes). I guess if you know your gear REALLY well it might be OK though.

You could experiment with the comp before and after the efx processor to see how that changes things.

I compress and use slight eq (if needed) on the way to the tape machine. That's about it! Lot's of people do it, and if that's the way you like to work, then you should be fine doing the same . As mentioned, FXs are best left til mixdown. It's something you should aim to get use to. It will give you more control over your mix

Second on using effects after recording. Compression, however, if used only to a certain degree, can be fine for recording. I suppose if you really know you want your vocal to have a complete and utter lack dynamics, then you can compress the crap out of it... I just hope we don't see a thread soon titled "Undoing overly compressed vocals" :D

As for the signal chain, looks good to me too!

this is for vocal only, the background music is already made, so w/e i record in as vocal will probably stays, with that signal chain, the FX unit is last to ensure that "FX should be last", i'll probably EQ it using the software but that should not make much of a difference. Thanks a bunch.

Really quick question, what the hell is "balance cable" vs "unbalance"
I look at some 1/4 to 1/4 in cable who's listed as "instrumental" cable, but does not say if it's balance or not. I've always thought all cables are the same? I read somewhere that unbalance will cause a decrease of 6db in signal, that sounds like alot. But alot of the cheapo gear are unbalance. This will probably create some problem. does every unbalance unit decrease the signal by 6db? or does it happen only once? let say this

Mic >>> Premic (output unbalance -6db) >>> compressor (output unbalance -6db) >>> FX unit (output unbalance -6db) = -18db total
OR the whole this is just -6 db?

the units are like this

FX unit: Balanced out/ Unbalance In
Compressor: Unbalance in/ Unbalance Out
PreamAmp: Balanced In/Unbalance Out

I'm guessing the setting of this will work:

Mic >>> Preamp (input balance) >>> (output unbalance) >>>Compressor (input unbalance) >>> (output unbalance) >>> FX unit (input unbalance) >>>> (output balance)>>>> soundcard..

What i don't get is how the hell the FX unit has an unbalance input but turns around it's balance output. very wierd.

Last edited:
Balanced connections make use of a principle called common mode rejection. The idea is that the signal is split into two identical signals at the output, but phase inverted by 180 degrees. Any noise picked up by the cable will be in phase on the two signal wires. At the other end, the noise is phase cancelled by common mode rejection, and the differential signal is combined back into a single ended signal. It's a good thing for long cable runs, but usually not necessary for short ones.
I highly recommend you heed the advice above, and leave the effects processor out of the recording chain, unless it's a really high end unit. Even though you say you know what effect you want to use ahead of time, the fact that the entire signal will pass through the unit rather than just an aux send to it means that the audio quality of the efx unit will completely determine the audio quality of the vocal track. Besides, I've never set an efx on a vocal one time, and not tweaked it during the mix. Recording it first means you can't dial it in perfectly later.
If you use preamp - compressor, the balanced/unbalanced question is moot.
Set the efx unit up as an aux send and return using your soundcard ins and outs, or use software efx.
If you still want to keep it in the recording chain, pay close attention to gain stageing, and a keen ear on the noise floor.

Good luck

you might want to setup the efx unit and compressor in a monitor mix if you want that sound during tracking but would still like the flexibilty of software plugins or hardware efx after the fact. all you'll need is a small mixer.

Back