Sideways Speakers Sound So Sexy

jdavis

Ok, question about mounting speakers. In alot of pictures of studios, both pro and home, the near field monitors are mounted on their side most the time, that is, with the tweeter and Woofer at the same height. Is there a certain reason for this, sonically? Or is it just "how it is"? Any thoughts?

***Justin***

Some monitor manufacturers don't specify placement... others do, implying it's more critical for some designs....

Bottom line is to try it.... use the placement that the stereo imaging sounds best at....

I checked out my PS6s horizontally and found the imaging impaired.... the manual does specify they should not be mounted horizontally, so at least in their case, it does matter.........

Bruce

Yo Justinius:]

I've got my monitors in wooden stands which puts the bottom of the speakers off the carpeting; I've tried sideways and upsidedown but do not seem to notice any scintillating difference in sound reproduction.

I think it depends on the room more than which end is up. But, tinkering always produces discovery.

Merry Christmas
Green Hornet

I am definately no expert, just an amateur. I remember reading in my Bose manual that if you place the speaker on it's side with the woofer facing out, it creates a better stereo sound.

Just a thought....I have mine set up like this.

smooth

smooth_mix said:
I remember reading in my Bose manual that if you place the speaker on it's side with the woofer facing out, it creates a better stereo sound.
This may be true of Bose speakers, but it's definitely not true for all speakers/monitors.

Bruce

I checked out my PS6s horizontally and found the imaging impaired.... the manual does specify they should not be mounted horizontally, so at least in their case, it does matter.........
I experienced the same issues with my 20/20's

spin

However the manual for the 20/20 passive monitors say it's a perfectly respectable installation when they are on their sides with the tweeters on the outside to increase stereo separation.
That's the way mine are arranged.

And of course, it will also depend entirely on the room they're in, the proximity to walls etc....

The only answer is for people to try the different orientations and see what they like better....

Go with what works for ya!

YMMV.........

Bruce

But I think it would always pay to RTFM as the manufacturer wouldn't bother mentioning NOT to do this if they hadn't found something seriously wrong with this orientation.

The manual for my DCM time windows was extremely specific as to how to place their speakers in a room. My own experience backed up the fact that they had done their homework on the subject.

The manual for the Tannoy Proto-Js goes into specific detail as to why these particular speakers should sit vertically. They point to sound dispersion of the tweeters and woofers crash into each other at right angles when the speakers sit on their sides, and that the frequencies move more or less in tandem when the speakers are vertical.

I'm glad they cleared this up.. otherwise I would've set them horizontally like most people do with NS-10s

Cy

One other very simple answer could be the hight positioning. If I place my KRK's vertically, the tweeters will be lower than my ears at centre listening position, but when placed horizontally their perfect in line.

my Tannoys don't have this problem since the tweeters are positioned within the woofers, they call it dual-concentric something. Now I should say that the Tannoys are 12" speakers so their standing at quite a distance from my ears (and nose.)

This is what Tannoy says about it:

Horizontal
diagram2.gif

Vertical
diagram3.gif

Dual Concentric
diagram4.gif

Back