Sick of bright mics

emergencyexit

I've had my pair of MXL 603s for about half a year now, and I'm already starting to notice that I HATE BRIGHT MICS! I know i'm not alone on this one. After my rapid search for flat SDC's I ran into quite a few options. I could either save up $800 right now for a pair of Earthworks or buy a pair of KEL HM-1s. Only reason I'm considering this (besides the price and relitivly flat frequency response) is that I've heard that a lot of you big boys are in love with them. This may very well not be true, but I have seen quite a few happy customers. They are only $200 for the pair, and there is a 20 or so day money back no questions asked garentee. Now the only thing right now keeping me from making a purchase is that they are all sold out for the month and wont be getting more in 'til the new year. Untill then I would like to hear some opinions if they exsist. Thanks guys

Ben

A lot of current mic offerings are quite "hyped" in certain areas. Especially on the highs. I don't know anything about the KEL's specifically, but you should stop by any decent pro audio company and rent a pair of Shure sm81's. They are not "flattering" like a lot of other current (especially cheap) mics are. From the sounds of things, that may actually be what you are after:)

Richard Monroe said:
For cheap, Oktava MC012 is not bright. From Kel, I know nothing.-Richie

If you aren't married to condensers, for a little more (or not), Nady ribbons (at least the RSM-2, presumably the others as well) are also not bright. At all. Without a pre that has a fairly flat high end, they sound downright dull. With the right pre, though, they're gold.

There's about a dozen companies selling the same ribbon mics---Nady, ShinyBox (which comes highly recommended from several folks on the board because of good customer service), Thomann/T.bone, etc. Definitely worth trying out at a decent music store.

If you're in the States, there's even a group buy directly from the manufacturer being discussed in another thread, which could bring the price way down, depending on shipping costs.

I've considered sm-81s, These were kind of what I meant when I was saying spend $800 for a pair... any high end well known flat mics.

Ben

emergencyexit said:
I could either save up $800 right now for a pair of Earthworks
Ben

I've been reading up on the Avenson STO's
http://www.mercenary.com/sto2microphone.html

I have not heard them yet, but the reviews claim they are not bright by any means. Supposed to be very accurate and not hyped. Search around and you'll find many positive reviews. Sold only in pairs for $500. Supposed to be a less-costly version of the Earthworks.

I have a pair of the Avenson's. I love em. Ruler flat. They do have slightly more self noise than average but not overly so. I use them for Drum overheads, and for piano most of the time. Their customer service is excellent.

The Tape-op messgae board has alot of users that like them.

:D
As a few sides in this regard. First, the value of contrasts.
Yes! :)
Second, there is a ton of joy in the middle. 'Flat' or even rolled of a bit.
My experience includes a few ribbons (R121 and a wonderfully roller-coaster and rolled-off RCA 'Varacoustic re-build), and the Earthworks' QTC1. With regard to those more 'flat ones, they can still needing some doctoring, but it seems you are at least more apt to get by with broader strokes on the smoother mics... vs say fixing odd' edges.
Wayne

I bought a pair of Rode NT5's recently. What a cool dark sound these produce! Definatly consider these an option!

Do you have any interest in moding the mic? There's a pretty simple capacitor upgrade that will smooth out the top end. It'll still be a bright mic, just not harsh in the top end, so it's not as gratingly bright. I did it on my pair and I'm like the results a lot. +1 for the chinese ribbons, they sit somewhere between condensors and dynamics (very broad generalization) as far as brightness.

I bought a pair of the Kel's after using my 603's over the past 2 years as drum overheads and a bit on acoustic guitar. The Kel's on the drums have been fantastic. Much better for cymbals, much less harshness. I am very pleased with the Kels, though I have yet to use them on acoustic guitar. I too had to wait few weeks for mine before they had them restocked. For me, it was worth the wait.

QWERTY13 said:
I bought a pair of the Kel's after using my 603's over the past 2 years as drum overheads and a bit on acoustic guitar. The Kel's on the drums have been fantastic. Much better for cymbals, much less harshness. I am very pleased with the Kels, though I have yet to use them on acoustic guitar. I too had to wait few weeks for mine before they had them restocked. For me, it was worth the wait.

I'd still definatly keep the 603s around for acoustic guitar. I have so far only gotten incredable sound from the 603s on acoustic. I heard somewhere that they also sound incredable as tom mics...? Anyone had luck with this?

Its more than me just looking for mics that aren't bright (although that is a huge part of it). I really just need a flat mic for once, I am yet to have one. I'll consider all Ideas, but I'm gonna go for the KELs for right now. I'll tell you all how they go.

Ben

emergencyexit said:
I've had my pair of MXL 603s for about half a year now, and I'm already starting to notice that I HATE BRIGHT MICS!

Most of the problems I've encountered with bright mics are in the budget category. It might be worthwhile to invest in some better mics.

Peluso CEMC6

The Peluso SDC CMC6s are very transparent and clean sounding.

Of all the mics I own I would say they are the closest thing to being flat.
They will give you incresible bang for your dollar.

I have the following:

Pair of RODE NT5s (they are rolled-off at the top and a bit dark)
Pair of AEA R84s (Amazing ribbons, but on the dark side)
Pair of ADK TLs (LDCs on the transparent side. Great mics for the money also)
Pair of B&K 4003 high voltage microphones (AMAZING!!, and with great amount of detail but a little on the bright side)

The Peluso's don't have the same amount of detail as the B&Ks but they are also a couple thousand dollars cheaper. These mics are really great for the amount of money you pay for them (ca. $595.00 for the pair)

I hope this helps
Peace
Marco

Dan,

I notice the map is getting pretty crowded. Perhaps using a nice vertical legend down the 4 sides, with lines to a Dot reference on the chart (pun, sorry), is in order.

I'd still like to see my AT4047 on that chart, too!

Thanks for the work...

I've only been to 4 or 5 pro studios ever, and out of those 4 or 5 i remember three of them using earthworks as overheads. the most flat mic out there, sounds good to me.

I go second or third on the Avensons. Be careful in reading the frequency plot on his site. They lose about 1 dB from 10 kHz to 20 kHz. That plot makes it look like a bit of a dip even though if you look at the numbers it is only 1 dB.

In the last couple of years I've been impressed by the Soundfield mic, the AEA R84, the Roll Music Super Stereo Compressor, and these freakin' Avenson STO-2 small diaphragm condensers.

BTW, I reviewed the Avensons here: www.mojopie.com/sto2.html

Last edited:
emergencyexit said:
I've had my pair of MXL 603s for about half a year now, and I'm already starting to notice that I HATE BRIGHT MICS!

Maybe you don't like bright mics, but what preamps are you using? For instance, any mic through a Behringer is going to sound brittle.

Back