Shure Small diaphragm condenser PG81 to record snare!?

Nico2112

As the title says, has anyone used a PG81 to record a snare?

No matter what brand of mic, has anybody ever used a SDC to record snare?

All opinions are appreciated.

Cheers!

I was thinking, since the frequency range is broader than the SM57, "maybe" it could capture a crispier sound.

NOT a good idea.

Recorded a test yesterday, and it sounded HORRIBLE.

PG81 for snare, definately NO.

I often use a SM81 on the bottom, in conjunction with a dynamic (SM57 or I5, usually) on the top, then mix together. Did you use it that way?

Jeff Porcaro would record snare with an SDC for the batter side, but it always was one that had a pad. I don't remember off the top of my head. (No pun intended)

Well, this one doesn't have a pad.

Maybe it can be done with greater quality SDCs, like a SM81.

For my test purposes, it clearly showed, a PG81 is not suitable for batter head snare mic'ing.

I slapped my SM57 back on and got the great results as usual:D

I think so.

I tracked a straight forward rock drum track, using 5A nylon tipped sticks, and I'm a rimshot lover, so yeah, it was very loud.

Maybe I can use this mic to track sidesticking patterns.

As overheads they don't do a bad job.

I'm about to try a CAD e70 SDC for snare. Has a 2 stage pad and a 2 stage roll off. I'll letcha know what I think.

I have used a SDC on the batter head of snare with -10 dB pad.

On one hand, I like it because it makes it easier to bring out that upper midrange "smack" or "pop" that we all love so much. The sound is so bright that I don't even need a bottom-head mic.

On the other hand, I usually end up with more head attack than I know what to do with. I then compress the snare track to control this. A very short attack time will level the transients. Then tweak the release time to taste.

But I might add that the success of this method probably depends on head type, tuning, and desired results. I used it with the drum tuned high-pitched and very dry.

Thanks for the input guys:)

I could try lowering the gain (since this mic doesn't have pad or rolloff) and see how it works.

Back